Help me finalize my decision

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_F, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

I have been reading numerous of threads about different receivers, compared their specs and have narrowed my decision down to the Denon 2805, but I wan to get your opinion to make sure I haven't missed something.

The main reason I have chosen the 2805 is the price, I have found it for less than $650, it has 100x7 watts of power, it has 3 component in, and also 5 component in and 2 coax in. I will mostly be using it for movie watching with occasional music and games.

Can anyone recommend another receiver that can give me what I am looking for in this price range?

2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Auditioning

Definately take a look at the Pioneer 1014tx. IMO better perfoamance than the Denon and can be had for $400-450. Its got similar amp ratings and includes an auto calibration feature.

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Digital amp -vs- non-digital... I am just not sold on this new amp techology. I am starting to think I am just being silly old school.

I defiently am going to have to at least audition one of these things. Maybe next weekend or something.

4. Kevin_F

Steve, I took a look at the Pioneer and the main thing that I noticed, I haven't gone in depth into the specs is that it has lass inputs than the Denon, I definitely need to have 3 component inputs

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

1014 has only 2 Compinent nputs. The 1015 coming out in a few months will have 3 (as wel as THX selecet 2).

I am debating whether to wait out the 1015 or get the 1014 now due to the 3rd input. Not a MUST have for me, but would be nice, not sure If I am willing to wait 6 mos. for it to hit $400 tho.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You narrowed it down, but have you actually gone and LISTENED to the 2805?

7. Kevin_F

Not yet, but now that I have it narrowed down, I will probably go and listen to them both.

8. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Kevin - If you found a Denon AVR-2805 advertised as "new" (not B-Stock or refurbished) for $650, you no doubt have seen it on the website of an unauthorized dealer -- probably one of the several audio retailers in Brooklyn, NY.

That's a great price, but you should be aware that when you purchase one of these units from an unauthorized dealer, your receiver may or may not be new, may or may not have had its serial number removed and, regardless of what is advertised on the website, definitely will NOT come with a Denon warranty. There's nothing wrong with electing to purchase a receiver at a reduced price, without a factory warranty, but you should, at least go into this with your eyes open.

9. Kevin_F

Thanks Jim, I will take that into account