Help me figure out what to do

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derin.Yilmaz, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Derin.Yilmaz

Derin.Yilmaz Auditioning

I'm trying to set up a system, but unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to hear most of this stuff, so I have to make a decision based on peoples' recommendations. I'm trying to choose main speakers, a receiver, and a sub. So far I'm trying to decide between:
    Either a Denon 2802 receiver or H/K 520
    For speakers:
    Klipsch RF3, Infinity IL50, JBL S312II, Polk RT1000i
    For the sub:
    Either an Infinity IL120 or Infinity HPS-1000

I'm leaning towards the infinity speakers based on what people said at audioreview.com, but I'm not really sure. So, please tell me what to do

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

First of all I am a horn fan so grain of salt my comments - and I have had little experience other speakers so..

Advice is to buy speakers you like - they can last a long time and be the center of ongoing changes. Make sure they are pleasing to your ears and go from there.

In my experience the Denon product better matches the Horns. Althought the HK is no slouch there either.

I have heard the Infinity subs and I think you have many worthy competitors in a better price performance category. Big and ugly SVS for one and all indications are the HSU VTF 2 is an extraordinary deal -

2 cents..

3. Derin.Yilmaz

Derin.Yilmaz Auditioning

In what way are horns different from other types of speakers?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Horn refers to a "horn loaded driver", which is essentially a large waveguide for the driver in quesion, and is most commonly used in conjunction with a tweeter. Klipsch, as you have listed, use horn style tweeters vs domes used by the others. Horn tweeters tend to have a "brighter" sound, that some like, I do not.
    I agree with Henry on the subs.
    What is the application? Movies/music, size of room, etc...
    You should also consider the Marantz SR6200 or 7200 if you are looking at those two receivers.
    The Infinitys are very good speakers, I have not heard the JBL312s, and the RT1000s are discontinued, replaced with new models, which I have not heard yet.
    Others to consider:
    Paradigm
    Axiom Audio

5. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

One advantage a horn has its inherant effeciency. A horn loaded speaker such as the RF-3 will push 98 DB at 1 watt/1 meter allowing for a less powerful amplifier to acheive volumes that a more powerful amp would normally take.
    Some do say horn loaded speakers are bright, however, I feel it depends on the reveiver/amplifier. I have Klipsch speakers with an Onkyo 797 and I do not find them to be bright at all. I actually chose Klipsch over B & W as I felt the tweeters in the B & W would be fatiguing over time. Movie theaters also use horn loaded speakers of which JBL has a commercial line of as well.
    In my bedroom HT set-up I have the Polk RT 800i which I really do enjoy. I choose those over the Infinity IL 40's as I found them very bright. I will say I thought the Infinity was more detailed overall but again I felt they may be fatiguing.
    I have never heard the JBL's so I cannot comment. I think the Denon is a good choice as well as the HK. I have not heard the Infinity sub so I cannot comment.
    What are you going to do for a center, surrounds, and rear? Whatever you do you need to try to stay timber matched. In other words whatever brand you decide on stay with that brand for all of your speakers.
    Mostly you need to please yourself...I kinda hate to hear you cannot audition before purchasing.
    Good Luck.
    Are we having fun yet!!![​IMG]

6. Derin.Yilmaz

Derin.Yilmaz Auditioning

I did some research on the HSU VTF 2 sub and apparently it is a great subwoofer, but I couldn't find any sort of comparison on the internet. I'm probably going to spend a lot more of my time listening to music than watching movies, so that may be a factor in choosing speakers. I don't know about the center/surrounds, because I'll probably try to get speakers from the same line as the main speakers. Thanks for the help!

7. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

For mostly music, take a look at the Adire Rava subwoofer at www.adireaudio.com. For $399, it's an absolute steal. 12" driver, sealed cabinet, and 250W amp. Sounds amazing - search the forums, and you'll find plenty of reviews and comments.
    Eric

8. Derin.Yilmaz

Derin.Yilmaz Auditioning

If I was to go with the Infinity speakers and Adire sub, would the H/K or Denon be better? I'm probably going to use this system for at least 90% music.

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

SVS would be my first choice of subs. Between the two Infinity's mentioned, the HPS-1000 is by far the better sub. I've owned both Infinity's and now I have SVS, which I wish I would have just started out with. The HPS-1000 has a problem with the feet breaking during shipping because the sub weighs around 100lbs and the feet are plastic. If it wasn't for SVS I would have stuck the the HPS-1000.

I also favor the Klipsch because of the horn, but you have to take a listen and decide for yourself though. Klipsch has a great active forum if you have more specific questions.

Haven't heard either receiver but from what I've read the Denon's usually have a beefier amp than most.

10. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

Derin, I bought the Denon 2802 and I really like it. You get full 6.1 capablity, DPL II, a minimum of soundfields,capable learning remote, simple set up and adjustments and it looks good. I have not regretted getting it one bit [​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Between H/K and Denon for music, I would choose H/K.