What's new

Help me figure out this whole surround sound thing (1 Viewer)

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
I've been living with my HDTV for over a year without a surround sound system (I use a 400W stereo system) and I've really just been too intimidated to figure it out. I haven't been able to find any good online guides and when I look at user manuals I am still confused. I think I've figured out most of it but I'm still unsure. If anyone here could lend their expertise to this newbie, I would very much appreciate it. For the purposes of getting a better grasp on this, I am just talking about hooking up a system to my HD-A30 HD DVD player.

From what I understand, I have to buy a receiver that is independent of my speakers. This is where the connection happens from my HD DVD player. I plug an optical audio cable from the player to the receiver. Then, I need to buy a series of speakers (front left, front right, center, rear left, rear right), and these plug into the receiver. Now what's the deal with the subwoofer? Does it act as like a regular speaker in terms of setup? Do I have to worry about compatibility between speakers and the receiver, or the receiver and the player? Other than these questions, do I have the basic gist? Any other tips you can give?

Thank you so much!

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Well, I think you do understand the basics. As far as the subwoofer goes,the difference between it and your other speakers as far as connections go, you hook it up using a subwoofer cable instead of speaker wire(like you would use to run from your receiver to the speakers. The back of the receiver should have a single input that says either "LFE" or "Subwoofer out". Your cable will run from there to the subwoofer. The sub will most likely have 2 inputs that say "L" & "R"(left & right). You can plug the cable into either one to make your connection. It does'nt matter which one. The subwoofer handles all of the deep, low bass you main speakers would'nt get. Also, no matter what size speakers you use, set them to "small" in the receiver settings. That allows for the lower frequencies to be sent to the sub. Let it handle the bottom end & let your other speakers take care of the rest. As far as being compatible, yes , different receivers will make the same pair of speakers sound different as far as tonal quality goes. If I were you, I'd find speakers I like, then check back here at the forum to see what receivers might make the most out of them.

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you! That was extremely helpful! Now I can start piecing together my system.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
it does seem like you've got the basic gist - for a general overview of how most of this stuff works, checl out aperion university.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sisukas
Recent bookmarks