Help me figure out the title of this movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobR, Dec 1, 2001.

1. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Since you guys are good at naming movies, perhaps you can help me figure this one out. I saw it with my dad when I was a kid. Strangely, even my father can't seem to remember the name of this black and white film. So here goes:

An aspiring actress went in for an interview for a part in a movie. The interviewer was dumbstruck by how uncanny she looked like the person he had in mind. The actress was immediately offered the role and she showed up at the director's house. The director and/or the man who gave the interview informed her it would be like a thriller, and they proceeded to film her acting out a scene (inside the director's house). From there, the movie took a strange turn in which the "director" was actually using the actress as a body double for his wife for some reason and the filmed scene to get back at something. She somehow got locked in the attic where she found herself next to the director's (dead?) wife.

I believe the same actress played both the wanna-be actress and the "director's" wife in the movie.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

A couple of films that have similar plot lines are
    1984's Special Effects and
    1987's Dead of Winter
    I'm fairly certain that Dead of Winter was color, ruling it out. Don't know if the time frame is correct for either film. When did you see this, since we don't know when you were a kid?
    - Walter.

3. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

Not Body Double, but similar plot.

How about help with this one. It was the first adult movie I ever saw in a theater, circa 1972. It was titled something like Gone in 60 Seconds, but not that. It involved a cross county car chase, out west, with the protagonist having a really suped-up muscle car. It featured full frontal nudity of his girlfriend walking around out west. First time I ever saw that! Anybody?

4. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Jason:

Could it be a film called "Vanishing Point"? It starred the white Guy that was in the original "The Mod Squad". He was driving a souped up Dodge Challenger across country while popping tons of bennies. In the end he collided with a road block of bulldozers placed in the middle of the road. Is that it? Probably not but....

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Could it be a film called "Vanishing Point"? It starred the white Guy that was in the original "The Mod Squad".

6. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Steve:

For some reason I want to say Issac Hayes. I haven't seen that movie in more than 25 years tho.

Thanxxx for correcting me about Barry Newman.

Also, I hope I didn't offend anyone by describing him as "the white guy". I clearly remember Clarence Williams III as "Linc" and I can't remember the girls name (Peg?) either, but I couldn't think of clearer, easier way to denote "the other guy", that I thought was Newman. So, just in case, I apologize.

7. Steve_Ch

The DJ was played by Cleavon Little, the infamous "cowboy" in Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddle. As for Issac Hayes, we will consider him "Shaft"ed.[​IMG]

8. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Walter,

Thanks for the information. Dead of Winter might be it, although I'll have to check it out to make sure. I really thought it was in black & white, but I might have fooled myself into thinking that, who knows?

9. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

Are you thinking of "Two Lane Blacktop"?

It came out in 1971, so the date fits, as does the general "tearing about out west" theme. And the director, Monte Hellman, was known to feature nudity on occasion...

I haven't seen it for quite a while, however.

10. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure mine was Vanishing Point. You guys are good. I'm going to try to find a copy so I can verify for sure.

11. Steve_Ch

>>Two Lane Blacktop