Help me figure out a 30th birthday gift for my lady! Please:)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by George_W_K, Apr 17, 2005.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hi there,

The past few occasions have been getting really difficult for me on deciding on a gift for my fiance. I'm completely running out of ideas. And since her 30th birthday is coming up, I really want to get something memorable.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks,
    George

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    A cake that says "Happy 29th Birthday" is probably your best bet. [​IMG]

Joe

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Budget?

4. David Blair

David Blair Stunt Coordinator

Anything that fits on a finger, wrist or the neck that sparkles. [​IMG]
    Most importantly, nothing that says happy 30th birthday!

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

If you can cook, cook.

Otherwise, road trip with a camera.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If she likes jewelry, check out BlueNile. I've always been impressed with the quality of their jewelry, and the presentation is always great too (nice wood boxes, velvet pouches, etc). If you're looking for cheaper stuff, check out the section they have for bridesmaids. If you're looking for expensive stuff -- they've got plenty of that.

7. Claudia P

Claudia P Stunt Coordinator

My man bought me a pair of UltraWheels (inline skates) and a note that said '30 and gaining momentum' ...

[​IMG]

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Does she work? Could you arrange half a day off for her without her knowledge?

You could pick her up for a birthday lunch, afterwards, instead of taking her back to work, get her an appointment at a day spa for a massage, facial, etc. Then pick her up and bring her home and have a candle light dinner waiting, or make reservations at a nice restaurant.

That, or just surprize her with his and her funeral plots. [​IMG]

-Keith

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Cherry red 2005 Mustang GT convertible?

10. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Great suggestions so far. Unfortunately, I really can't spend more than a couple hundred, and that might be stretching it. I wish I could spend more, but I've had a couple of unexpected things happen in the past week.

So, that leaves out both the Mustang, and his/her funeral plots.[​IMG] [​IMG] I love this forum, plenty of people here to make me laugh.[​IMG]

The problem I have with the jewelry suggestions is the fact that she never wears what I buy. Or anyone for that matter. She thinks the gifts are too precious to take a chance on ruining so she keeps them in their box and safely tucked away in the dresser! I don't understand it, but it's one of those things that I love about her! [​IMG]

Thanks again!
    George

11. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You could get her a really nice jewelry box to keep all the jewelry that she never wears in.

But seriously, in that case I think Keith has had the best suggestions about sending her for a massage or facial or something and then a romantic dinner -- possibly a picnic somewhere if the weather is nice.

12. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Two words: Circular. Saw.

13. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Prozac or Zoloft! [​IMG] Some women don't handle turning the big 30 very well.

Good luck

Jeff

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It sounds crazy to us guys, but a great gift for your girl is a handbag (like a purse.) It sounds useless to us, but these things are like shoes to women, they just ooze with pleasure at getting a new one.

I got my wife a nice $300 Coach brand one for Xmas, she loves it to death. Expensive for a purse, but seriously for women it is a huge satus symbol and they'll love you for it (literally if lucky.) Less expensive than a rock anyway and still a very special gift. Only problem is you need to buy a nice one, they can smell the knock off brands a mile away and will be upset.

Imagine if your wife bought you a new workbench loaded with Craftsman power tools. It's on that level for them...

15. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Is she a girly girl or a tomboy? That would help alot to know. Maybe instead of buying anything really major just take her out for a night on the town.

*hijack*

I am so looking forward to turning 30 (I'm 28 now). I'm weird that way though. As far as gift giving goes, I love anything my husband gets me. He bought me a chainsaw last year and honestly that was the best gift ever! I had wanted one for so long. Me and my measley little ax just wasn't cuttin it (pun intended lol)... I LOVE MY NEW CHAINSAW!

*unhijack*

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Is there something she loves to do? A past girlfriend loved flying, so I took her on a surpise, hotair balloon ride for her 30th. She loved it!

Take her horseback riding, windsailing, soaring, front row seats to a favorite show, best seats to a sporting event. Do the thing she's never done before but always wanted to.

Arrange a surprise birthday party, inviting far-flung friends and family. Buy a great cake, have guests bring hors d'ouvres, and enjoy an evening of good company.

Rather than a thing to buy, find an experience to share.

17. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My wife just had a big birthday in February (not saying which one...) We flew to Phoenix for some warm weather and went on a hot-air balloon ride. Quite a blast !

We've also done a couples massage at a spa. While I wasn't initially too keen on the idea (seemed pricey), it was a lot of fun/relaxation. Just make sure it's a high-end spa for the amenities. Good Luck !

18. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Depends very much on her interests and likes.

Some women get jewelry and could care less. They put on their fake smile and turn on the charm, but they really could care less. She might have preferred a vacation with you or even something as simple as a piece of furniture. She might want nothing more to just spend extra time with you for a few days. There is no simple answer.

So, it just depends on her interests and likes. Also, pay attention to any hints or whatnot. You could always be bold and just ask straight out.

Budget is definately important. I mean with an unlimited budget I can think of many things I would like. Got a week?

Personally, I spent too much on surprises that never got used. So I make it a habit to just ask straight out. I also prefer to be asked straight out when it's my turn. Some people like surprises though. So, this is no simple question.

19. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Ok,

Hop on Southwest

http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/displayFares.

Book 2 tickets to Chicago. Where are we going you ask?

Here.

http://www.blueman.com/ticketinfo/chicago/

than after the show

here

http://www.ruthschris.com/index_o.ph...aurantID=10010

you can Fly to Chicago go out to dinner see the show then Fly home.

Oh BTW I checked map quest its only 3 miles from the show to Ruth Chris

Start out going WEST on W HUBBARD ST toward N CLARK ST. 0.1 miles Map

2: Turn RIGHT onto N LA SALLE BLVD/N LA SALLE ST. Continue to follow N LA SALLE ST. 1.5 miles Map

3: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W EUGENIE ST/IL-64.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Mark, great idea! I've done essentially that evening, including the BMG show. However, I'd skip the chain and go to one of Chicago's many great local restaurants. There's a great little Italian restaurant within walking distance of the theater. But I recommend making it a weekend, and getting a hotel. For the show, go to dinner first, then the BMG show, then to the Hancock Tower for dessert (there's a restaurant near the top with a great view). Then to the hotel for the night and fly back the next morning. Doing it all one night would be tough, in large part because of the distance from downtown to the airport (~45 min trip, oneway) and the cab drives around town to and from the show.