What's new

Help me expand my war collection (1 Viewer)

Steve_AA

Agent
Not sure if these are on DVD yet, but you might want to search:
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (Robert Mitchum)
Castle Keep (Burt Lancaster)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I noticed nobody mentioned 'A Midnight Clear' yet, is this because of the Pan-and-Scan presentation, or because its not that great?
The film is absolutely terrific. The chop job done to the DVD is unforgivable. If it was OAR, I would put AMC on top of the list-once you have Patton, of course :)
Another to look into is 2000's Tigerland by Joel Shumacher. The DVD itself isn't the best video wise, but the story and the film are first rate. Worth adding to your collection.
Bruce

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
A lot of great movies have already been mentioned but a couple that need to be added are

The Devil's Brigade
The Battle of the Bulge

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Between Heaven And Hell (1956) is an underrated war film and is available as part of the Fox War Classics in wide screen.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'll second Patton and Das Boot, the best of the best.
You may enjoy the Why We Fight series put together by Frank Capra. These are pseudo-documentary films in that some documentary footage is spliced together with re-enactments (e.g. Pearl Harbor). But when they show heaps of rotting corpses it's the real thing. They were put together as propaganda films to get our boys pissed off and ready to kill the bloodthirsty evil nazis and japs as they were called in those days. These films were judged so important that the Epstein brothers were pulled off script writing Casablanca to work on them :eek: . Get the Goodtimes DVD version, it's much better than the Madacy.

Pat Wilshire

Auditioning
Count another vote for "The Big Red One," with Lee Marvin in his eternal sergeant role and a barely post-Star Wars Mark Hamill as a cowardly sharpshooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks