Help me DIY 1st sonosub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am only in the planning stage right now, but what I want to do is this.
    1) I want to build a sonosub, but I was hoping for something less than 24" sonotube is there 18" or 16" sonotube? Height (within reason) is not an issue.
    2) I was pretty much planning on using one shiva, but is there a way to use dual drivers in some sort of isobarik (sp?) configuration to get better output? Is there another driver close in price that I should be considering.
    3) Is it necessary to brace the sonotube or do the endcaps do that?
    4) How do I figure out what port length, internal volume, number of ports etc. to use?
    5) regarding #4 do I need software to do this? I was hoping not to have to buy software as I am trying to keep the cost down. This is probably a 1 shot deal, I wont be prototyping and rebuilding or anything like that.
    6) is it possible to buy the fabric sock type things that people are covering their tubes with?
    7) in you'all's experience, is it possible to get someone (lumber yard or woodworking shop) to cut the endcaps into circles? I live in an apartment.
    8) Can I make it down firing *AND* bottom ported so that there is no driver to get damaged on top or port to have stuff dropped into? I think I saw someone here build one that is completely solid wood on top and sits on casters to be used as an end table or something. I would want mine to be taller, but I was hoping to use legs and a base a la SVS to give the driver and port room to breath.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions later. I was hoping to keep the cost on this sub down under $350 (not counting the amp), but mostly I want it to look REALLY good (professional) and sound good.
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My DVD "Profile"
    The start of my Home Theater website

2. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

1) I want to build a sonosub, but I was hoping for something less than 24" sonotube is there 18" or 16" sonotube? Height (within reason) is not an issue.
    RG replies:
    You want to build a tube sub.
    Sonotube is one brand of concrete column forms that you could use. Other brands may be easier to work with.
    The brand I bought about five years ago was called BaxTube -- it was about 1/4 inch thick (thicker than Sonotube) and
    not coated with whatever waterproofing compound Sonotube uses. It was more flexible than Sonotube and had fewer problems with fitting/sealing around my
    not-even-close-to-a-perfect-circle end caps.
    2) I was pretty much planning on using one shiva, but is there a way to use dual drivers in some sort of isobarik (sp?) configuration to get better output?
    RG replies:
    Two drivers in an Isobaric configuration have NO output advantage over a single driver.
    Use Isobaric only if small enclosure size is mandatory.
    The Shiva can use a small enclosure, so Isobaric should not be necessary.
    3) Is it necessary to brace the sonotube or do the endcaps do that?
    No bracing is necessary ... but double-thickness end caps would be a good design feature
    6) is it possible to buy the fabric sock type things that people are covering their tubes with?
    Go to a fabric store and get cheap black stretchy polyester
    fabric -- or get a color that matches the wall behind where the sub will be placed
    7) in you'all's experience, is it possible to get someone (lumber yard or woodworking shop) to cut the endcaps into circles? I live in an apartment.
    Not where I live.
    Make sure the tube has fresh even cuts on both ends before you buy it. A ragged/dented/beat-up end of the tube may not matter much for concrete work but it will matter to you.
    I skipped the rest of your questions because I just noticed your "I live in an apartment" line:
    If you build a downfiring down-ported tube sub with a Shiva
    12" driver you may not be living in an apartment much longer even if no one lives below you. I built a compact
    sealed sub using a Dayton Parts Express 12" DVC last Fall.
    This driver is almost identical to the 12' Shiva. Both are
    very powerful long-stroke drivers. Start looking for a house or new apartment the day your sub is completed!
    ------------------

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen