What's new

help me diagnose this problem...vcr related... (1 Viewer)

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know where to put this, so please move to where it belongs...

ok here goes:

I have it connected 2 ways.

1st is from cable box to vcr to tv through coax
2nd A/V cables to reciever

when I have the tv set to the Ant inputs(coax) I have no problem. but when I go thru the reciever my tv blinks a black screen. I have moved cables, tried different cables, diff. inputs on the reciever, and even connected directly into the A/V on the tv.

my SAT is also routed thru the reciever and there is no problem with that. however if I put my vcr on that input(the 1 the SAT uses) it blinks. if I use the A/V inputs on the vcr and feed my SAT into it(pass the signal thru the vcr with the same A/V cables out) the tv will not blink, but as soon as I change the vcr back to the cable it starts.

I even tried a different vcr from another room and it has the same problem.

what am I missing? any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You didn’t tell us what you’re trying to get from the VCR. Since you don’t mention having the cable box connected to the receiver, I expect you’re viewing cable programming through the VCR?

Judging by the way you have the cable box, VCR and TV connected through the coaxial cables, you won’t get a picture unless the VCR is tuned to channel 3 or four, with the “TV/Video” button in the “TV” position. If the VCR isn’t on 3 or 4, there is nothing to pass through the A/V cables to the receiver/TV, and this is why you’re getting a black screen.

I would suggest changing your coaxial connection scheme; it’s always problematic when you have so many pieces daisy-chained like that. I would split the incoming cable signal and send one side to the VCR and one side to the cable box. The TV would connect to the cable box via coaxial. If the cable box has A/V outputs you could send those to the VCR’s A/V inputs.

Beyond that, I think your cable box is making things needless complicated. Since you have a satellite receiver, I assume you only have basic cable, for local channels and such. If so, you can loose the cable box and let the VCR be the cable tuner.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I have a digital cable box. the vcr is just wired for recording from the cable box.

when I playback a tape the pic blinks. but it only does this with cable. if I feed my DTV thru the a/v inputs on the vcr and use the same connections everywhere else I don't get the same problem.

I have a 2nd vcr that has the following connections which also displays the same problem:

cable line directly into the vcr coax input. the vcr is used as a tuner. then the vcr is connected to my tv thru Ant2(coax)
the vcr is also connected with a/v cables to the reciever. when I use the reciever(a/v) for playback the tv blinks. but when I use the coax it doesn't.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
another question: I have had comcast out and they have changed splitters,connectors, etc. is it possible that my a/v cables aren't good enough to carry the signal now that it has been improved?

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
no. if I put a tape in the vcr and push play my tv screen starts to blink a black screen. if I disconnect all cable tv sources from the vcr(no more coax from cable tv) it doesn't seem to display the problem.

if I have anything hooked up from comcast to the vcr I have the problem.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

Okay, you’ve tried two VCR’s, and tried a different input on the reciever. That pretty much rules out all three as the source of the problem.

The only thing all three would have in common is the cabling. You didn’t mention if you had tried using different cables, so try swapping out the A/V cables between the VCR and the receiver and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I would recommend changing the connection scheme to what I recommended in my first post.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
ok. I fixed the problem. it was my tvs Auto Aspect feature. I went thru all the menus and happened to notice this was on. I turned it off and the problem just went away. hopefully it stays this way and isn't a fluke.

again, thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks