Help me diagnose a car audio problem

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Angelo.M, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

After my car was about 3 years old, I began to notice that the (factory) left front speaker would drop out occasionally. Tweaking the volume knob on the radio (factory as well) would usually correct the problem. After upgrading to aftermarket speakers and CD deck, the problem persisted.

Now, it happens more often. In addition, the front right speaker occasionally drops out as well. Again, tweaking the volume control brings it back, sometimes only temporarily.

I assume that there's a problem in the connection between the head unit and the speakers, as the problem happened before and after the head unit and speakers were replaced. How difficult is this to fix? Should I let a pro do it?

Thanks, in advance...

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Could be bad speaker, bad/loose connection or possibly something going on in your head unit like a short or dirty potentiameter sp? controlling your balance.

BTW you might want to also try some of the car forums.

3. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried turning the volume knob from one extreme to the other(with the radio off[​IMG] ), if it helps you have narrowed the problem to the pot. if it is the pot be ready for the repair bill[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. James E

5. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

Reginald,

Any good car forums you would like to recommend?

Thanks!

6. James E

This might kill some time until Reginald gets back to the forum[​IMG]

7. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I would say it's either a bad speaker wire or a bad ground. I would try running new speaker wires easy to do and inexpensive.

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Any tips on running new wire?

9. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    If your car originally had a "premium" sound system or something similar, it may have a built-in amplifier separate from the head unit which could have a short. If the installer just straight-connected the new cd player to the old wiring without bypassing that amp, it could be the culprit.

Either way, the easiest thing to do is to run new speaker wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. The difficulty is moderate to high for anyone without car installation experience, but rather easy for anyone with experience. Any car audio place or big store with a car audio installation bay should be able to do it for you for under $100 I would think.

10. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Tip for running new wire anywhere disconnect the wire to be replaced at both ends tape a length of new wire flush on the end of the old wire. Make sure you don't have a big lump of tape here as it may have to pass through a small opening. Then just pull the old wire out, doing so will have run the new wire for you.

11. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I'm not sure how good that would work in a car where you have wire running through small grommets... but maybe, I never tried it! Also, if there is an amplifier wired in between the speaker and head unit as I mentioned above, then this will not work.