Help me design a super fast Dell laptop...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Lee Scoggins, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Hey friends,

I am working on a new laptop for work which I will need to crunch numbers very nicely as my firm does a lot of applied math.

I wondered if any of you would suggest the latest specs for the machine. What version of Dell is best?

I am probably assuming a 2ghz+ chip and at least 512MB ram for starters.

I also would ideally like feedback on how people like their Dell laptops and what is the best screen as I will be doing a lot of slide shows.

Any comments, Dell feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Hmm. I'd say the Precision M60 is your best bet. [​IMG]

1.7Ghz Pentium M (as fast as the 2.2-2.4Ghz P4 chip for games, faster than the 2.5Ghz for office applications)
    WUXGA display (1920x1200)
    Can do as much as 2Gb of memory
    60GB 7200RPM hard drive
    DVD burner
    nVidia Quadro FX Go 700 128MB video chip

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

HI Lee,

I own a Inspirion 8100 (Pentium III, 1.13G, 512K, UPGA) and it's worked well for me. It's a personal notebook and it's been with me on many plane rides across the continent and has held it's own without any major problems. I purchased the unit on 8/01.

Some items along the way.

1. I added RAM from Crucial to save a few bucks.

2. A HD drive failed and was replaced NDA.

3. Also, the display screen developed a slight ripple in it and was replaced by Dell without any problems.

4. I also bought the Complete Care package in case of travel problems or drops.

I run the display at 1600 X 1200, which is optimum clairty, but enlarge the type a bit tinkering with the windows settings as some of the type can be difficult to read at that resolution.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase, but what was once fast, is now left in the dust. Such is the world of computing!!!

I configured the M60 as Gabriel has suggested with a few twists. $4160 with the $500 savings. Holy cow!! [​IMG]

Much luck with your new toy.

Charles

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Heh. The M60 is not for the price conscious, that's for sure. If I was looking for a desktop replacement on my own dollar, the Inspiron 8600 is a far better choice.

5. Tom Lowden

Tom Lowden Agent

I have a Latitude D800 series, with the widescreen option. It has a 1.7 GHz Centrino processor, 1GB RAM, 1920x1200 WUXGA screen, integrated Bluetooth, integrated WiFi (A,B,G - up to 54Mbps), DVD+RW burner, Firewire, 10/100/1000 ethernet, 128mb video card, port replicators for home & office, etc. It has been an AWESOME machine and the integrated wireless has a much better range than any of the Linksys, Netgear, or other WiFi cards I've used.

I'm not necessarily recommending this one for your application, but I wanted point out that even though we get new notebook computers every 2 years, this has been my favorite one by far. My last 2 notebooks were Latitude C800 & C840 series, and I like this new D800 much better. So I'm giving my definite thumbs-up on the Latitude D series.

6. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I will be getting a Dell laptop sometime this week and had a question you guys might be able to shed some light on. I definately want to get a DVD burner, however, as I understand it, the DVD burners offered in Dell laptops are DVD+R's only and are slower than PC-based burners. Would I be better off buying an external DVD+R/DVD-R burner instead?