What's new

Help me design a sub for my small room (1 Viewer)

SamK

Auditioning
I want to build a sub for my den/HT. I plan to use it for 70% HT, 30% music. The room is small (11' x 15' with 8' ceiling.) It has two door-size openings to the rest of the house that cannot be closed.

My current POS sub stands at the bottom of my stereo rack, in the front corner of the room. The space in there is ~2.5 cu. ft. There are two other locations that I could use to place a sub: In the back corner of the room (where I could touch it from where I sit) or as a coffee table in front of the sitting area (where I could set my feet on top of it.) For the back corner I could build a cube no larger than 22". For the coffee table I could go a little larger in volume, in a rectangular configuration. Either location would allow me more freedom of design, but the sub would be sitting real close to me, which apparently is not a good idea.

I'm thinking the best location is on the rack. I am somewhat worried about the vibration making my CD's and DVD's skip, but I don't see it happening in practice with my current sub.

That brings up the eternal question of sealed vs. ported. I like the fact that a ported configuration can be tuned for a flatter response, but I don't think such a small ported sub can be built (because of port length.) I can't consider PR because I can only use the front face of the sub to install a driver on. If ported is not possible, then sealed is my only alternative.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it reasonable to place a sub in a stereo rack?

2) Is there a driver that will model nicely into 2 - 2.5 cu.ft. box for a ported design? The port(s) probably can't go any longer than 12" to 15".

3) I have been primarily considering 12" drivers. Should I try 10" or even 8" to fit into the 2.5 cu. ft.?

4) Given my sub location choices, which one should I go with?

Thanks,

Sam

TimForman

Supporting Actor
How about a 10" ported design in the back corner and some bass shakers? Actually, after looking at the Dayton Titanic MKII 10" you may not need bass shakers. Check it out at Parts Express. They make an enclosure recommendation that's right up your alley.

SamK

Auditioning
Why do you suggest 10" in the back corner? The MKII would work very well in the limited space of the rack, but if you are voting for the back corner, why a 10"?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Typically, the corners of room help reinforce bass frequencies. Just trying to give you the most umpf for your effort. Also, based on your size limitations I didn't see a good 12" application.

SamK

Auditioning
Thanks for your help.

If I decide to place the sub in the rack, I will certainly go with a ported Tempest MKII 10". If I decide to go in the back corner, I have a little more size flexibility, so I may very well go with the ported Shiva 85 liter design from the Adire website.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Looks like I misjudged your space limitation. For movies a ported Shiva would an excellent choice. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a vibration problem unless you have a real hefty rack (no "rack" jokes guys).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks