Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brandon>C, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Brandon>C

Brandon>C Agent

Im trying to get the best picture on my Panasonic 47x54.Would it be better to buy the best 480p Dvd player i can afford and let the tv take care of the scaling, or would you guys recomend buy one of the new upscaling Dvd players. The choices out there are almost unlimited.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Tough question.

although your set has dvi connections it's display technology is analog as it's a crt based set. Fixed pixel displays, like dlp, lcd, plasma, are digital.

The upscaling players only do so thru dvi, meaning they deliver a digital signal to the set which then has to convert it to analog for display by the crts. Fixed pixel displays don't have to do this conversion, so dvi connections are best for them. They do have to convert analog in from component connections to digital. For fixed pixel displays there are fewer digital to analog conversions using dvi, for crt sets there are fewer using component.

A 480p player will deliver an analog 480p signal via component to your set which will then display it analog without having to do a digial to analog conversion. If you can find one of the Zenith DVB-318s built before the upconversiom via component was eliminated it would be the best overall choice, but failing that I think with your crt set a 480p via component player would be the next best choice.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Denon 2900 is arguably one of the best 480p pictures out there. Under $700 these days...

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If you are set on using the DVI/HDMI input on your set, and based on the prior post it sounds like your t.v. is a fixed pixel display, then I would go with an upscaling player. I thought however that it was a complete digital to digital connection hence no analog conversion is done. In any event you will be able to watch some movies upscaled to 1080i but there are other movies you would not be able to watch because HDCP. The Zenith with the new firmware (post July 2004) eliminates white crush issues, but limited in movie playback. Another model is the Momitsu 880 than I believe still allows you to upconvert via component and of course the Zenith with a built date of March 2004 or less. Either way I would go with an upscaling player and get a model with a Faroudja chip in it to do the de-interlacing.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Panasonic PT47x54 is a crt based set, not fixed pixel, and a good one at that.