Help me decide which SVS I should get (next week)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leif Wall, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

May 4, 2000
    I'll be deciding between the 20-39CS and the 16-46CS as that's about what I can afford while still paying off bills and saving for college. I've read the FAQ at the SVS site (numerous times), done searches here on the forum, and read reviews at various sites.

I'll be powering it with that Part Express 250 watt amp. Right now I'm leaning toward the 20-39CS, but was wondering just how much slam it has at 20hz compared to the 16-46 and how much it can handle below 20hz. I doubt I'll be listening at reference levels, but may come close as I slowly upgrade my HT over the next year.

As of now it consists of:

Pioneer VSX-D608 dd/dts (will be switching to the Yamaha HTR 5490, or the Yamaha equivilant model that has pre-outs)

Polk Audio RT55 fronts, RT35 rears, CS400 center (will be keeping all these, as I'm satisfied with their performance)

Sony S530D (getting kind of old, but have not had a single problem yet with any of my 200+ discs. won't upgrade tell i get an HDTV)

...and a bunch of other components...

I'll be living in either an apartment or small townhouse, so the HT/living room will not likely be very big.
  2. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Sep 29, 2000
    I've heard a 20-39 and own a 16-46. Both perform extremely well with virtually all material. Both have extremely good extension. Keep in mind that the 20-39 doesn't start to drop off in volume until 20 Hz, so at that range the 20-39 and 16-46 would probably be virtually identical. The 16-46's real strength is with bass below 20 Hz. It gets another 4 Hz of extension before it begins to drop off, and according to the website, it will still produce considerable bass at 10 to 13 Hz. So for all intents and purposes, you're hearing and feeling all the bass contained on a soundtrack. With a 16-46 my couch shakes with bass that I can't hear because it's so low. While it's impressive, it may not be ideal for an apartment. I have understanding roomates. The 20-39 will give you a shitload of deep bass (and will reproduce all the bass in 99% of movies), but if you want that extra few Hz of subsonic bass (which is rare in movies anyway), the 16-46 will do it, believe me. But, as always, use your best judgement.
  3. Howard Smith

Howard Smith Auditioning

Nov 25, 2001
    I just picked up a 20-39pc b-stock and also use Polk speakers.

Mains are 800i,center 400i, rears 300fx.

I am still making adjustments but SVS is bass x10,I dont listen at reference and have a good size room.This thing is moving all the air on that side of the room.

I have a good selection of DVDs and have tried several,I know I made the right choice.Most products don't live up to the hype but SVS is a keeper,can't imagine what the ulta or CS+ is like.