What's new

help me decide which receiver! (1 Viewer)

Jeff:L

Auditioning
I am thinking about returning my HK AVR-430, but I dont know what else to get in the price range of a refurb HK AVR-430. $500.

What would you guys pick:
Harman Kardon AVR 430 - refurb that I have had bad experience with.

Denon AVR-1804 - no experience with Denon

Marantz 5400 - no experience with Marantz

DonJ

Second Unit
Sorry about your experience with HK. My AVR320 has worked for three years without a glitch. If you do choose to go with another receiver you can't go wrong with Marantz or Denon.

BTW the only time my HK would shut is when I had it plugged into a wall sock next to a light switch and turned my lights on or off. I have since put on a Power Sentry surge protector and moved away from the light switch and it hasn't happened again.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If the 430 isn't working properly I would MAKE HK get you one that's working 100%. I don't think the 1804 or 5400 would be in the same class as the 430. The 1804 is a great $350 receiver but the 430 is a deal at $500 assuming everything is working correctly. If you're having problems with EZ Set then I would say the heck with it and just get an SPL meter, you're probably better off doing it manually anyway. That receiver has so much more going for it besides EZ Set, so that feature isn't worth giving up on the whole thing for.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks