Help me decide which receiver I should get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony-Merit, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

Help me decide which receiver I should get. I have $800 to spend. I live in a small town and have few options unless I drive 90 miles. Here are the models I can pick from and there price.

Panasonic SA-HE200-$450
    The JVC RX-8020VBK--$350
    Onkyo TX-SR600----$450
    Onkyo TX-SR700 ----$750

The receiver I buy will be used 60% Music and 40% Home theater. I like the Panasonic SA-HE200 the only fear I have is how hot it gets and well the Panasonic name. The Onkyo TX-SR600 does not look to bad but I have heard it does not sound good doing music and it has low wattage. Is the Onkyo TX-SR700 much than the Onkyo TX-SR600? If any one can help me decide I will be very grateful

Thank you

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

i dont know where you live, but at the upper end for $800, I would look at the new NAD T752, Marantz 7200, some models from Yamaha and H&K. You could probably find a Rotel 972 in that range.

If I was going to stay in the $500 range, I would look at the outlaw 1050 (internet only). They service is supposed to be outstanding and their reviews are insane for their money. They take a music first type of orientation as well.

Good luck

Rich

3. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

where I live no body sells any NAD T752, Marantz 7200 or any Yamaha's. There is a local store that carries the Harman Kardon AVR520. The wattage is what worries me about this receiver.

4. Bunkie_r

Bunkie_r Auditioning

i would get a denon 3802 with $800

5. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

No body in town sells a denon 3802 or any denon's. I would have to drive 90 miles, with work and the kids its not worth it. thanks anyway

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

How about online buying? You can get all the other recommendations online for $800. Since music is your first priority, I would go with a Denon 3802 or HK 520 (dont worry about wattage it has plenty of power) or Marantz 7200. These three are worth the trouble. You wont have to look back.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I wouldnt worry about H&K's power ratings, they take a more conservative style in rating their receivers similar to higher end companies. They also get some good benefits from trickle down technology. The company that owns them has some very high end subisdiaries that makes H&K get some benefits that other companies don't have.

If you live that far away from everything, mail-order may be the way to go.

You can get almost all the brands named online.

Rich

8. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

Thanks guy, I may do that. I have never bought online before and just a not sure how safe it is, dont want to get ripped off. it should not be this hard to buy a receiver. lol thank you for the help guys.

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'd recommend the H/K 520. The wattage rating is, as has been mentioned, misleading.

-AM