Help me Decide which DVD Player to get??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gerald LaFrance, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi, I am trying to Decide which DVD Player to get the Deonon 2910 or the 1920, I went to a A/V Store locally the only ones to carry these players I wanted to get a Demo but they Sold out of the 1920's but I did see the 2910 but it was hooked up thru Composite so I didnt get to see it upconvert [​IMG]

The Salesman told me the 2910 will have a Better Upconversion then the 1920 but for $200 more then the 1920 is it gonna be worth it? I really Don't think the pic will be better but I dont know he was Probally trying to get rid of them and would say anything as Denon is coming out with new Models for the 1920/2910 the NEW Models are 1930ci/2930ci.

I am NOT interested in getting the HD-DVD or the Blu ray YET I just want a SD Upconverting player for now that does SACD/DVD-A.

So Please Help me decide I can get the 1920 for $300 and the 2910 for $500 so what would be a good choice I am on a Tight Bug]dget and the extra 200 could go towards my Projector, right now I am leaning towards the 1920.

-Gerald

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Oppo has the 970HD that is upconverting via HDMI and does DVD-A and SACD at just $149. It got a favorable review from AH.

3. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi John THNX for the info,do you have a link to AH?? I checked some reviews out I dont think I'll be getting the Oppo 970HD but the OPDV971H looked good but it didnt do SACD TOO Bad [​IMG]

Do you have the Oppo 970HD?? I would like to get some reviews from the members here??

Also I would like to get a DVD Player with Specs close to the Denon Players.

THNX
    -Gerald

4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I do not recommend the new Oppo because it no longer uses the Faroudja deinterlacing chip. It's video quality has been compromised in favor of other features. A real step backwards from the original Oppo DV971H.

The best performing DVD player with HDMI at an affordable price is the Panasonic 97 or 77. I would buy this one if I had HDMI or component connections/needs.

If you have DVI, the original Oppo 971H is the one for you.

5. John Garcia

John
    The 971 can be used with HDMI also - they include a HDMI to DVI cable with the unit. No SACD though. AH 971HD review. The 970 is a lower model than the 971, and Oppo does not deny that it is not quite as good as the 971.

The S77 actually got a better score than the S97 on Secrets. Either is a good choice also.

There is also the Denon 1920.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would go with the Denon IMHO.

7. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon2900 that I paid $1,000 for. Why is the 2910 so cheap?

8. John Garcia

John
    2910 is technically the successor of the former 2200 design, not the 2900 (chassis and layout are more similar to the 2200). The 3910 is more of a technical successor of the 2900, though numerically I believe it is actually supposed to be the 3800's successor. I bought my 2900 used, but practically brand new still with Denon's warranty, for $400.

9. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I bought mine when it first came out as I was in the process of upgrading my system at the time.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I bought my 2200 cheap from Ultimate that was closing two stores here in Phoenix las year. I have been very happy with it but I dont just use it for straight dvd. I bought it to be a multi-channel sacd & dvd-a player as well.

11. John Garcia

John
    I had the 2200 prior to my 2900 and I was very pleased with it as well. The 2900's main improvements seem to be in audio quality with hires, but the 2200 was no slouch by any means and video is only very sublty improved (not worth the original difference in MSRP IMO).