Help me decide whether or not to buy this pre/pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Mar 20, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

OK, I am totally new to separates. I have a Denon 3801 that I have had for a short time, and Paradigm Reference speakers. My system is 70/30 ht/music. Anyhow, I wouldn't seriously consider moving to separates, but a friend of mine is moving abroad for 2 years, and is selling off his stuff because he doesn't want to store it.

He has a pre/pro - the model is Lexicon MC-1. He has owned it for a year. It is in perfect condition like all his stuff. I have demoed it at his place. It sounds great of course, but he has B&W Nautilus speakers and 2 Krell amps so I can't isolate what the pre/pro adds to his system. He will sell it to me for $1800. If I don't want it, he is going to pawn it on Ebay. He thinks he will get $2500 for it there. Based on the prices I see online, I'd say that is conservative.

Anyway, what I want to know is whether I should expect this $1800 to add significantly to my system. Obviously, I will have to add an amp. However, spending the $1800 leaves me with maybe $800 for a used amp, and that's assuming I can sell my 3801 for around $500. I don't really know what it adds featurewise, except Logic 7, and I don't really know what that does to tell you the truth.

Should I grab this pre/pro, wait for the Outlaw 950, or just add an amp and use my 3801 as a pre/pro?

PS: I see there is a review of this component in a thread below.

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

MC-1 for 1800 ?

GO for it !!!!

For sound processing, versatility and beautiful sound stage - you would have to spend 2-3 times more to get noticeably better performance. You can use 38xx as amp untill you get decent amp - look at parasound and rotel units.

Enjoy.

_zjt

3. EricHaas

I know this is somewhat speculative, but would an Outlaw 950 be a better value for around half the cost? Also, the Outlaw would be new and the Lexicon used. And another thing: what if I spent the entire $2600 on an amp? I am so confused, because I don't really know what an amp adds vs. what a pre/pro adds.

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Eric,

Take the MC-1. If you don't. Let me know cause I'll be glad to take it off his hands.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I would agree that $1800 for an MC-1 is a very good price.

You won't be sorry (assuming the unit is in good shape. I would suspect with the other equipment it was mated to that it would be.)

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Eric: if you decide on getting the MC-1, make sure it has the latest upgrades and software. If you ever want to listen to SACD or DVD-A, you will also need to buy the Sony P9K preamp to mate with the MC-1. If you listen to FM, then you'd have to add a tuner as well.
    As to whether I think you should buy it, well, if you have to have Logic 7, then yes, absolutely. $1800 is a great price. At that price, you could buy it and see if you like it, and if not, sell it for a profit on Ebay. That profit would probably come close to paying for a new Outlaw 950 if you decide to go that way in the end. [​IMG]
    So, buy it!

7. EricHaas

What is Logic 7? Is it an alternative to PL2?