What's new

Help me decide - what are the best games for a 9 year old (1 Viewer)

john berry

Auditioning
Hi, I am debating purchasing a Gamecube or Xbox for my 9 year old daughter. Just wondered what games you would recommend for each as the best for someone that age. Thanks

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I don't know that I would get her the XBOX. I think the Cube would be your safest bet.
Games like Starfox and Mario and even oldies like The Sonic collection would be good choices.
There's also Mario Party and an all new frogger on the way.
And finally what little girl could resist:

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
For your 9YO daughter, I'd recommend the following games for each platform:

Gamecube
Pikmin
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2
Animal Crossing
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Star Fox Adventures

Xbox
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
Blinx

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
And finally what little girl could resist (Mary-Kate & Ashley)
Any girl with some self respect. :)
John,
I think the above suggestions of Animal Crossing and Pikmin are very good choices. Not only are they increidbly cute, both are very highly regarded excellent games.
Dan

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'll second Super Monkey Ball! (1 or 2) That game is so much fun and it's a great family party game as well.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Here are some Xbox games to look at:
Nickelodeon Party Blast
Dragons Lair 3D
Loones Fight for Fame
Malice (release date Jan 1st)
Oddworld: Munches Oddysee
Amped
Shrek
Shrek: Super Party
Taz: Wanted
Zapper
Sneakers
Blinx
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Dr. Muto
Frogger Beyond
Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets
Pac-Man World 2
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
Egg Mania
Super Bubble Pop (release date Dec 17)
Tetris Worlds
Simpsons Road Rage
Monopoly Party

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-

The problem is that some of the games on that list are also on the GameCube or there are somewhat equivalents to them. I know the X-Box versions are better visually and aurally, but that doesn't really matter to 7 year olds.

I'd suggest the GameCube because it's demographic goes from little kids to adults, so there's something for you and your kids. The X-Box tries on purpose to keep it's demographic at the teens to adults range.

Keep in mind that some of the Nintendo games (like Super Mario Sunshine) are fun and have bright colors, but are actually quite difficult.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you're shopping for a 9 year old why not save some cash and get a Nintendo 64? She's not quite old enough to appreciate a top of the line system.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
If you're shopping for a 9 year old why not save some cash and get a Nintendo 64? She's not quite old enough to appreciate a top of the line system.
I think you underestimate 9 year olds.
My son is 8 and prefers the XBOX. He fully understands about graphics and what each system's potential is.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I think both systems are great choices, in fact I recommended having a good look at the Cube in John's thread in the hardware section. I thought I would put the Xbox games in this one because most of the Cube games that I would have suggested are already stated. Simple as that.

I highly recommend fishing in a store like ToysRus or Best buy with your daughter to see what she bites on. Walk through the video game section and pay attention to what she is drawn to.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks