What's new

Help me decide! Toshiba 50H81 or Pioneer SD-533HD5 (1 Viewer)

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer is about 500$ more than the Toshiba, and right now I'm heavily leaning towards the Toshiba. Is the Pioneer much better than the Toshiba? I just wanna know what makes the Pioneer so much more and whether I need that. Thx

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer will deliver a significantly better picture with standard definintion material than the Tosh. As most of what is available today is standard definition, the 533 is the way to go. Most people do not give enough weight to picture quality with standard definition sources like cable and satellite. Unless you are watching mostly HD, picture quality with standard definition sources is very important.
Artie

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Juan

The Tosh is rated Good with standard definition material. The Pioneer Very Good.

To me, that is significant.

We would have to see both sets set up identically, of course using identical feeds. Even then, differences are somewhat subjective. So I might think the difference was very significant and you might think the difference was only moderately significant.

With the scarcity of data derived from lab controlled studies, (which was the case with the Tosh and Pioneer), I will take the video engineers word for it that the Pioneer is in another category from the Tosh.

PS Only 1 other set had very good picture quality with standard definition material, the Hitachi 53UDXB10, a 4:3.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Huzefa,
Well, I've been researching the 50H81 for about 6 mo. now, and I finally 'pulled the trigger' last night! I can't wait-it's to be delivered this Friday morning. I got it at Sears where I got a successful price match:D , 0% interest till Jan. '03, and a free DVD player(that'll go in my daughter's room- I currently own a Panasonic RP56). One of the main reasons that I got it over the others was the GREAT (IMO) stretch mode for a standard signal.
Oh, did I tell you that I can't wait?!:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
WilliamG, how much did you pay for the TV? I got it yesterday at BestBuy for $2025 (had him PM an internet website; got lucky I guess). I didn't want the dvd player he was offering, and he was pretty nice guy; so he took the money off. Did you get the warranty for the TV? I heard Sears had a 3 year warranty for $280, but BB has the 4 year warranty for $300. Is there much difference in the service they provide?

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
BB's having a 10% off sale later this week. Can I go back and have the 10% applied onto my sale? I PM'ed it when I bought it yesterday.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Huzefa,
I bought the TV for the same price as you did!(yeah, it was more than likely the same website:) )I never knew that BB would pricematch ... the one here sure wouldn't-I asked. Yeah, I thought about negating the DVD player they offered(a Sylvania) but knew my daughter would love the surprise.
I got the 3 yr. service plan - figured it couldn't hurt on a big-ticket item such as this. As far as comparing the services of the two stores, I really couldn't speak to that because I simply don't know what BB offers to do. There are others here on the HTF who will enlighten you, I'm sure:), but I know that Sears will come out once a year and clean the guns of dust, etc.. don't really know what else is covered; I'll have to call 'em tomorrow and check. The salesman whose time I took up for the past three months happened to be on vacation yesterday thru Wed., and another wrote the sale under my salesman's number so he'd get the proper credit. Poor guy had to key it in 3 times cause he'd forget about the 0% interest and the DVD player:frowning:
He DID have to charge me $35 to deliver ... said he could match the internet price, but not the free delivery. Go figure ..
BTW, when are taking delivery on YOUR set?

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
William G, I had the guy throw in free delivery since it was mentioned on the website (www.continentaltrade.com). He originally offered to PM the circuit city ad I had that stated 'Free shipping and a free DVD player with all projection TVs', but then I pulled out the internet ad and he just glanced at it and said OK. He threw in the free shipping, but I didnt' get the free dvd player. Either way, I'm getting it delivered tomorrow. Also I'm planning to go back there sometime this week with the 10% off preferered customer coupon and see if I can get another 10% off, and also gonna go see if I can get that free DVD player they're advertising on all big screen TVs in their ad this week.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Way to go, Huzefa:)
Be sure to let us know how it goes and what you think after delivery(if you can get any sleep tonight,that is!)
My wife and daughter just about beat me;) when I got home Saturday night from Sears and I told 'em that it was going to be Friday. They wanted to know why so late in the week! I just said that I'm supposed to be busy early this week and could take off Friday - wanted to be home for delivery and want to get it calibrated properly before Friday night movies:D

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Only 7 more hours before it gets here. I don't know why they gave me a 7am-9am delivery timeframe (maybe it's 'cuz I kept bugging them this morning to give me a definite time). :D
Either way, I got AVIA coming on Wednesday, so I'm gonna take tomorrow to show my brother how good an HDTV can look, and day after tomorrow I'm gonna blow him away with a (hopefully) calibrated HDTV.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If I had a new widescreen TV coming in 7 hours, there's no way that I'd be able to sleep :)

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Got it about 2 hrs ago and haven't been able to stop watching until right now. I tried starting the convergence calibration work, but then realized that it could take me all day and I have work to do (stupid work!). I have a few questions, though:

If i change the settings in the Picture menu (ie. constrast, brightness, etc.) while I am in regular picture mode, and then I switch to HomeTheater 1 mode or FullMode, will the settings remain?

Also what picture mode do you suggest I keep the TV in? Full, theater1, 2, 3 or regular picture mode?

Thanks

JodyB

Auditioning
From what I've seen, settings are different between DVD and ant modes (all of those options), but are the same between Theater1 or 2 or full modes (all of those options). I use Theater1 mode for all viewing except for some DVDs I use Theater2 mode.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Theater1 Mode: I know it's stretched, but I can't see any stretching at all. Very nice.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
The correct mode for viewing 16x9 anamorphic DVD's is full. Full has no stretch applied and is the "native" mode; ie, the reason you bought the widescreen tv in the first place.
Jody, please try it with your next DVD viewing..I think you'll be happy :)

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
jeff, i noticed that full looked better than theater1 when I was testing it out with the matrix lobby scene. As for regular 4:3 tv or dvd, should I just stick with Regular mode?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Regular 4:3 TV, most folks (IMO) use Theaterwide 1 which leaves the middle intact and stretches the sides. I think it's fairly well executed on the Toshibas. For widescreen TV (think recent ER episodes) or non-anamorphic widescreen TV, some folks use the Theaterwide 2 setting.

I think Theaterwide 3 is not used for anything by many.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks