Help me decide, thinking about getting an X-box

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John-Miles, Nov 19, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Ok so i am obviously thinking about getting an X-Box, but I have a tonne of questions.

1) What do people think of this deal available at EB now, get an x-box, 2 months of x-box live, Kights of the old republic, Mechassult, and Crimson Skies, and a 50 dollar EB gift voucher all for about 350 canadian taxes in.

2) What AV connections does the x-box come with?

3) X-Box live, is there any way I can check to see if the user name i want is taken? I would like to keep my current online name of Sparrow if possible.... perhaps add a Sir in front of it or something liek that, but i cant seemt o find a way to check what names are available without buying an x-box and finding out the hard way.

4) hooking up to X-Box live, whats the best way to do this? would i have to set up a home network to keep my PC and x-box connected? or is there a line in and out ont he x-box so i could connect the modem to the x-box and then to my computer, or do i need to go get a second network card for my PC and do it that way?

and i guess the final thing is i have a sweet DVD player already, and a PS2 both hooked up through component, the X-box makes a third, is it really worth it to go out and buy two more sets of component video cable to use my receivers switching capabilities? (I have a Yamaha RXV-1300 would that be up to the task of switching the PS2 signal and the X-Box signal?)

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

It only comes with standard a/v cables.
    Buy component.

I am going to be setting up my xbox live account tomorrow again and Ill let you know about the name thing. Im hoping to keep my old name also (even though I am already the one that has it...

oh and youll need a Switch/router for your ethernet.... those are pretty inexpensive heres a link to mine......D-Link

Good luck, and go for it!

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Dave, I was thinking I could just pop another ethernet card into my computer and run a cable, would that not work as well? I believe i saw an article at www.xbox.com about how to do it.

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

oh, right on, Ive heard of someone who did that and it worked fine for him, I just never tried it........(my comps not that close to my TV.)