What's new

Help me decide please. (1 Viewer)

vice86

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
Hi folks...newb here. My trusty ol' Mitsu 65" 65809 RPTV is starting to show its age...convergence board must be going because I'm getting that bowed screen effect and crazy lines all over the screen. I know some say it can be a DIY fix but I suck with a soldering gun and I ain't attempting to even try taking apart the monster tv...plus there's not DVI, VGA or HDMI and its just time to upgrade.

I don't really want to spend more than $2,000...$2500 maximum and not sure if I should go with LCD, LED or DLP. I'm used to 65" of viewing pleasure so I don't want to go too much smaller then that now...so I've been looking at 60"-65" 3D LCD/LEDs by Samsung and the 73" Mitsu 3D DLP. I'd also like to use this as my computer monitor with a wireless keyboard/mouse and will mostly be playing movies running off my HDD thru WDTV Live with maybe some light Xbox 360 use.

I'm thinking that the DLP picture wouldn't be as nice as the LED/LCD picture...or am I wrong and things have gotten a lot better for DLP since I last had one 6 years ago. I kinda like the "smooth motion" features so I'd like a TV with that and I know the one Samsung my friend bought has USB that lets you hook up an external HDD to watch movies off of that.

Best Buy has a Mitsu 73" 3D DLP on sale for 2099...and the Samsung LCD/LED's range from 1799-2499.

Any suggestions or thoughts to help me out?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I, personally, prefer the DLPs. The LED/LCDs and plasmas have very reflective screens, and I don't like that. The DLPs have a more film-like picture, no motion blur, no reflective screen, and don't put out any heat, like some of the others. These features make it worth changing the bulb every 3-4 yrs., to me anyway. I think bulbs are cheaper than they used to be too. Along with the fact that you get more screen size for your money, DLPs are the best deals, I think. Mitsubishi has the LaserVue tvs, but I think they cost a little more.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

vice86

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

I, personally, prefer the DLPs. The LED/LCDs and plasmas have very reflective screens, and I don't like that. The DLPs have a more film-like picture, no motion blur, no reflective screen, and don't put out any heat, like some of the others. These features make it worth changing the bulb every 3-4 yrs., to me anyway. I think bulbs are cheaper than they used to be too. Along with the fact that you get more screen size for your money, DLPs are the best deals, I think. Mitsubishi has the LaserVue tvs, but I think they cost a little more.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

So a 1080p bluray will look just as good on a DLP as it would on an LCD? That's my main concern....i guess I can always go to the store to see what they look like in person. The 73" DLP actually advertises that it has that 120hz motion feature that people either love or hate due to it giving movies the "soap opera look"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks