What's new

Help me decide! Please! Yammy 1400 or Pioneer 45tx (1 Viewer)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I've found an available 45tx. Should I get it or wait for the new Yamaha?

I'm running Klipsch all around. I'm hearing the new Yamaha YPAO is a better auto calibrator than Pioneer's MCACC due to its having a parametric vs. graphic equalizer.

I know I should wait so I can at least hear the Yammy once they start coming into the stores but I don't know if I should let this Pioneer slip from my fingers.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to go for the 53tx (the 45's replacement).

At first I thought I would wait for the Yamaha due to the added feature of video upconversion and the better calibration features.

But in the end I was concerned that the Yamaha would have trouble driving my speakers. Since the non-flagship Yamahas have traditionally put out much less than their rated power with all channels driven, I opted to go with the Pioneer.

As far as the Pioneer goes, I believe they have a better amp section. The 45tx's European version was lab tested and outputted it's rated power with all channels driven.

NicholasL

Second Unit
45TX no question. Especially paired with the Klipsch's. No contest. You'll cry it'll sound so sweet.

kevitra

Second Unit
"45TX no question"

How can you say that when you have not heard the Yamaha 1400? It is not even out yet (maybe today in some areas - or maybe you are a dealer). If you have heard it, what makes the 45TX so much better? Why would I want the 45TX over the 1400?

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
I may be wrong but I haven't heard of Yamaha tweaking the sonic characteristics of their amps yet again; just adding a ton of features. They changed the sound with the RX-V1300 model year's line (last year). So I would venture to guess that a sonic comparison between an un-eq'd 45tx and the rx-v1300, thru 5 channels (to make the comparison fair), would be adequate to decide which amp you like the sound of better.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Ok, I've listened to both. Can't decide :angry: I can get the 45tx for 899 or the 1400 for 799.

I want as many opinions as possible. I need to get off the fence and get my credit card out.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Not to step on any toes but a bit of advice for you Jeff..Dont let comments like "no question" sway you one way or another, espcially from somebody who hasnt had both products in thier own environment and even then take it with a grain of salt.

I just bought the rxv2400 and have made several comments on avs under the "demoed rxv2400" thread. Im using the rxv2400 as just a processor as I have external amps in a 7.1 setup.

I had to sell my lexicon mc-8 (incredible almost flawless piece imo) for financial reasons and needed something at the Yammies price point plus I liked the eq feature. Now the rxv2400 aint no mc-8 but Im very pleased with the rxv2400 for the money.

I havent had the pioneer so I cant comment on that. What I can say is that the rxv2400 does a really nice job or processing, channel seperation and decoding are crisp and clear, dialog is always clear and I havent detected any listener fatigue or brightness in my room on my system.

The EQ feature works big time !!...my nht t5s are some of the flattest measured speakers around but the auto eq had to make some pretty hefty adjustments (my room isnt the greatest but who's is)..thats the great thing about the eq, it will help almost everybody.

Another feature is the surround enchanced option which can be overlayed on any source inclduing dd-ex and dts matrix etc...I didnt think Id like it but I was wrong. I prefer using it on every source so far, it allows you many tweeks like room size,delays,liveness settings.

PS Jeff..I was able to get tweeter to knock 100.00 off the 999.00 asking price so you could probably do the same for the 1400

kevitra

Second Unit
I purchased the 1400 today from Tweeter. Abt did not have them in stock yet, and Tweeter matched their price ($699).

I was *not* able to run the auto calibration yet. My wife and baby are sleeping, and the manual says it is loud. You don't want to wake a sleeping wife :), so I will refrain from using it until the morning.

I watched the Monday Night football game in HD/DD. I really liked the 'enhanced' surround modes that can be applied. I 'enhanced' the rear channels a little bit and they were much more noticable, yet not distracting.

FYI: The unit has Zone 2 and Zone 3. I have not found anything about the zones in any Yamaha documentation besides the actual manual. Zone 2 can be powered off of the presence speaker's amps.

Complaints so far: the manual states that the unit is 110w x 7 RMS, but the maximum wattage drawn from the power source is 500w. 110x7 != 500 last time I checked.
The remote is nothing special. I have a Pronto so it isn't a big deal.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, the Pioneer Elites have a max watt output of like 620 listed on their backsides, but it's been shown that they meet the 100*7 and exceed 140*5 in real world measurements. I overreacted (in another forum) upon hearing that the Yammie only had a max output of 500 watts. But as the Pio shows that can be deceiving. I would either wait until the Yammie is tested or buy the Elite. In either case the amp on the Yamaha will not match the Elite 45tx (or newer 53tx, 55txi). It's just whether or not the extra features that the Yammie provides is worth it over the Elites in your eyes.

I personally couldn't find a use for the features offered on the Yamaha RX-V2400 over the 45tx so I went with the Pioneer. I never did get to demo the sound on the Yammie, but the predecessor to my 45tx was a Yammie and I loved it when it's feature set was current. It's going in my Master Bedroom now though.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I just bought the rxv2400 and have made several comments on avs under the "demoed rxv2400" thread. Im using the rxv2400 as just a processor as I have external amps in a 7.1 setup.
John, I recently purchased a 2300 and returned it for the feature set on the 1400. I too am using the 1400 as a prepro and couldn't be happier. My question is what made you go with the 2400 over the 1400?

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Hello Nick,

John, I recently purchased a 2300 and returned it for the feature set on the 1400. I too am using the 1400 as a prepro and couldn't be happier. My question is what made you go with the 2400 over the 1400?
Nothing to much really, I just had read a thread or two about the rs232 port on the 2400 which may give it more upgradability (prologic 11x or something else perhaps?)..Im not sure if theres any real chance of this happening ?

Plus Tweeter knocked off 100.00 bucks from the rxv2400 so I figured what the heck, its still about 5000.00 less then the mc-8 retail.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks