Help me decide please (buying a used receiver).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I have no need for more than 5.1. I don't see being able to go to 6.1 or 7.1 in the near future (room constraint). I've been browsing Audiogon and now that I'm making some money I think it's time to spend some.

I don't want to spend any more than $800USD (not including shipping). I want DD and DTS of course. I want 5.1 preouts so I can later use it as a pre pro with a seperate power amp like the Parasound HCA1205.

The models I've been looking at are the Denon AVR4800, Denon AVR5600 and I decided to search B&K this evening and discovered there are 3 B&K AVR202 receivers up.

I'm leaning towards the B&K right now. Any other suggestions for receivers of this caliber? Which would you choose?

PS- Anyone know what the slopes and frequency of the bass managment crossover of the B&K is?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If a mod reads this could you please change the bracket portion of my subject to read

(buying a higher end used receiver)

Thanks.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

WhatI would do with that budget is plan for the future. By that I mean I'd take $500 of it and buy one of the two sherwood amps that are in the for sale area right now since they're very good amps and will last you a long time. Then I'd take the remaining funds and go out and buy a cheap receiver that has pre outs and use it until you're ready to move up to something better.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Do you know what the slew rate and damping factor on the AM9080 is?

I though I was planning for the future with my choosen path [​IMG] Given the quality of the amp section in a higher end Denon or B&K receiver and my intension to move to HE series kits from Adire I'd have an excellent processor with good amps from now until those speakers were finished (hopefully this fall, but likely not until spring of 2004; so I'm also taking into account the quality of the speakers I currently have). Then, after the speakers were built and I'd saved some more money, I was planning on adding a used Parasound 1205 to my setup and using the receiver I purchase now as a good pre/pro. Until at some other much later date I would pick up an even better used pre/pro.

So this path made more since to me than what you suggest as with your path and my plans I'd be living with a junk receiver as a pre/pro for the next couple years. But thanks for the input.