Help me decide on what JBL speakers to buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pablo Abularach, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Hi,

First I like to thank all the HTF community, because I have never seen a forum in which everybody wants to help everyone, I have learn a lot in the past months. Specially thanks to Philip Iturralde, John Garcia, Paul Fisher and many others.

I'm tring to finish my HT, maybe you can help me out deciding. I already bough my reciever, Marantz SR6200 and my subwoofer, SVS PCi 25-31. My room is 13X13 feet. And I will use the HT 95% movies and 5% music.

I also know that I want to go with JBL for speakers, but I dont know if I will hear much difference between the following speackers,

1) NSP1 (Four N24 and N center)
    2) Four S26 and S center
    3) Four S36 and S center
    4) Two S38 (front), two S36 (surroung) and S center

I know that maybe the choice #4 is the best, but do you really think I will hear much difference in movies? and setting the speakers in the reciever as small.

Thanks,
    Pablo Abularach

2. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I went with the s26's all the way around..and the new s-center...sounds great to me...I have the 20-39pci svs sub also...I am ALL movies[​IMG]...On one sceen, I couldn't get the darn volume down quick enough..sheesh...quite the scare[​IMG] Good setup..I believe it is considerably better than the n series...so many have said..and for 160 bucks a pair at jandr, ya can't go wrong[​IMG] hope that helps...tom

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

For your split of music and movies I'd go with #2. You aren't really going to notice the difference between the S26 and 36/38's with movies, a small difference will be present with music, but not enough to warrant the price difference because you watch mostly movies.
    I have the S26 up front with the S-Center and I can ensure you its a great combination.
    www.markfitzsimmons.com/pics/studioseries.jpg

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd have to agree with option 2 also. This is pretty much Phil's speaker setup, and it sounds impressive. [​IMG]

5. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

I know you already know which I would pick.

But I'm curious. Since you will be using mostly for HT, do you have a way to get S26 above ear level? I only wanted to mention this as those speakers look to be hard to place as surrounds (they are 9 1/2" deep). All of your other options have wall mountable speakers for surrounds.

6. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I have the S26II's, David, and I felt the same thing. I'm using them for both fronts and rears. While I didn't want to drill into such a nice speaker for mounting, I went here for wall mounting speaker clams. They hold up to 55lbs. My JBL's are 22lbs. a pop.
    .. just an option. [​IMG]

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I'd seriously doubt that would hold 50lbs. I think your lucky it worked! I just attempted to hang my Paradigm Studio 40's I used wall anchors rated for 40lbs each, I used 4 of them! My speaker is 40lbs, what happened? The drywall broke! I moved and hit a stud, much safer.

I think it might depend on how far your hook is from a stud the closer the better since the drywall will have less flex.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is NO WAY drywall with any kind of molly bolt would be capable of holding 40lbs, period. I saw Phil's mounting setup, and it looked sturdy enough to me.
    Why on earth would you want to wall mount 40s anyway? [​IMG] Basically the 3 major the Paradgim lines do much better when not placed near walls, especially when they are rear ported.

10. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Stunt Coordinator

Anyone heard the S38's up front with an S center. My guess is this would be the clear winner in the Studio line up but i havent heard them. Would they not beat the S 26's up front.
    BTW, S series is clearly better then N series as far as I can tell from my limited exposure.
    What if one used the S 38 / S 26 combo with the 26's mounted in the rear pointed at the listening area. Then add 36's or 26's to the sides above the listener for a 7.1 set up. would this not be the clear winner over all listed choices??? seems line this would beat out 4 26's and a S center

thanks
    Brian

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I went with option 4, but used S26 for surrounds instead of S36. I'm a little better than content now. Keep in mind I plan on eventually going to a fairly elaborate DIY setup. So this was my choice as a stop gap to keep me happy until that can happen.

The advantage I see to using the S38 for mains is they use a 3way design with the same mid the S-Center uses (and same crossover point between the mid and tweeter). Whether this would be noticeable over a S26 or not I don't know. Haven't tried the S26 up front yet.

As for mounting. I just used these neat little quick mount shelf systems you can find at your hardware store. The corner mount ones work by having a T shaped groove routed down one of the edges and a slot on the other corner edge. Then you screw a T shaped piece of wood to each wall in your corner. Then the shelf just slides on. Easily supports my S26 bookshelves.

If you don't have a corner, they have ones that will mount to a single wall surface. Except now there is a right angle brace that slides onto the T and the shelf slides onto the brace preventing it from coming off the wall. They work slick.

12. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I did the same thing as Phil, and it worked GREAT!....There is no way that baby is going to fall..I tested it [​IMG] tom

13. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Nearly every mount I've seen tells you to ensure you've nailed stud dead center........I can just see my wife looking at me after I've pulled the drywall out!!!

14. Pablo Abularach

Thanks for all the replies,

I just order my speakers, Four JBL S26 with an S center from etronics.com. It should arrive early next week.

Thanks for helping me out, I think because of all your help I made the best descition.

Pablo Abularach

15. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Excelent choices, you won't be disappointed.

16. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Pablo I hope it's not too late but you can get a pair of s26 for $159 free shipping here and I have another place to get the S-center for $150 shipping included. If you could still use it.

17. Pablo Abularach

LaMarcus,

Thanks for trying to save me some money, but unfortunatly I already bought my speackers in etronics.

But I dont think the deal was so bad.
    S24 Serie II $169.99
    S Center Serie II $141.00

The other thing is that I wanted serie II, because I'm planning on upgrading at the end of the the year to 6.1 or maybe 7.1, and I think by the end of the year serie I will be out of stock, mainly is because matching the looks or apperance, I know in sound they are the same, but I like it also to match in color, etc.

Thanks,
    Pablo Abularach