What's new

help me decide on new Mits WS (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
current situation: An older version of this TV...the Mitsubishi VS-50603
I want to get a WS tv since a majority of my tv watching is movies. I will get a progessive scan DVD player afterwards.
In my new house, I will be sitting approx. 11 feet from screen.
I am thinking of this Mits WS-65819. I like the way the Mits look. I really like my current set, except now I want to take advantage of the anamorphic widescreen on my 150 dvds. It still looks good and I have had no problems with it even through 2 moves (one upstairs !).
Anyway....anyone own one of these care to comment ? Is the platinum series plus worth the extra $$ over the regular platinum series ?
Any advice on selling my current set in the local paper (I am thinking put it in my garage...hook up a good looking dvd and turn the lights off and hopefully I can get someone to buy it) ? But how much ??? hmmmm...

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I am perfectly happy with my ws-55809. The 819 was a good deal more $$, and the salespeople I talked to couldn't even tell me what the differences were, on paper at least. All the specs appear to be identical. The consensus was the differences would not be noticable on DVDs, but possibly on HD material.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Tell me, Jared, do you use a prog scan dvd player ? How does the image look ? How does it compare in your opinion, to reg. dvd on a 4:3 screen ?

What (if you have one) prog scan dvd player do you have ?

I have heard a lot of people speak (or rather type) happily about the Panny Rp-56.

Mike Shea

Auditioning
I have a 55819 being delivered next Saturday. The price was $3000 on the nose, exactly what I wanted to spend.

The difference as I heard it was better edge focusing.

The Panasonic player you mentioned is supposed to be the best progressive player for the money. I plan on getting one of those as well.

I'll let you know in a few weeks how I like it =D

Scott Garmon

Auditioning
Before you commit yourself to any of the Mits, you owe it to yourself to take a serious look at the Toshiba 57 and 65X81 series. I was all but locked into either the Mits 55809 or 819 until I saw both sets playing back a high-def signal next to the Toshiba 57 inch model. I was amazed at how much better the Toshiba looked, particularly the blacks, brightness, and level of detail. There was simply no contest. There was also a 53" Pioneer Elite set near the Mits and Toshiba that I used for reference and the Toshiba held it's own quite well, especially considering it cost $2400 less than the Pioneer. The sales guy was a little embarassed due to the fact that they lead with Mits and the Toshiba looks so much better. He informed me that none of the sets had been calibrated and they were set up as is out of the box.

While I like the usability and future proofing features of the Mits better, the Toshiba clearly offers a better picture, which to me is the most important feature of any TV. Check it out - you might be surprised just as I was.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Thanks Scott....I will definitely look into the Toshiba models you mentioned before making a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks