help me decide on my theater setup...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by IssaraS, Nov 14, 2002.

1. IssaraS

IssaraS Extra

hey guys -

i'm just getting around to setting up a little home theatre in my house. i'm just not sure what way to go for speakers.

currently, i have a Definitive C/L/R 3000 center channel, but i'm not sure if i want to invest the money into Definitive PM9 bookshelves to match it. i would also need rear satellites.

the idea that sounds most intriguing to me is selling my center channel and getting the JBL N-series components (N28s front, N center, and N24 satellites).

i would also be getting an SV subwoofer. i'm not sure if i'll go with the PCi series or the PC-Plus series yet.

what do you guys think?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I really like my N28s, N Center, and N24 surrounds (4 of them in a 7.1 configuration), but i'm not sure how they would compare w/ the Def Tech stuff. The N Center is a small bit lacking in clarity some say, but i've never noticed it. Make sure you audition the N stuff before you get rid of your Def Tech center, preferably in your home so you know how they sound in your room.

Either way, the JBL N series is a GREAT price/performance line, and the N28 seems to be the sweet spot.

I might consider selling my N Center and N28s if the price was right, just because it would be nice to move into the studio line for the front, and i'm an opportunistic upgrader.

Hope this helps.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Why do you have just a Def Tech center and nothing else?? Seems odd to me [​IMG]
    Anyways, a lot of people like the JBL N-series. They seem to be pretty solid. As far as subs go, you can't do much better than SVS. If you can make the stretch to PC+ I think you'll be pleased. But, I would upgrade the speakers to JBL Studio series before I made the jump from PCi to PC+ IMO.

4. IssaraS

IssaraS Extra

So maybe 2 JBL S38s for the front and an S-center. What about the rear? Is there a studio line satellite?
    I only have a DefTech center right now because I got it at a good price a year or so ago and living in apartments, I never had room for the towers that I wanted to pick up. [​IMG]
    Any other speaker lines to look at?

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

You could get S26 for rears, or the S36 to hang on the wall, and a better match w/ the front 3. If you need to skimp somewhere, skimp on the rears (like maybe get N24II), because you're not going to hear them that much. You could put that money towards the sub.

But yeah, a setup like this:
    S38
    S Center
    S36
    SVS PC+ or PCi

would be pretty sweet. Just ask Phil I.