What's new

Help me decide on my receiver (3 options) (1 Viewer)

Timm.L

Auditioning
I finally decided to upgrade my receiver and I've narrowed my choices down to 3 receivers. I've done research on them and found some reviews and of course they all say that these receivers are must buys(with the exception of the AVR-4306, couldn't find any reviews). However, since I do not have a store located around me with these receivers its virtually impossible for me to compare them. This is where you experts come into play. I really need some advice on which to choose. So here goes.

Option #1 Denon AVR-4806

Option #2 Denon AVR-4306

Option #3 Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi

I like the upgrade options for the Denons through the ethernet cord. I also like the 4306 and Pioneer secondary to the iPod hookups. There is a 10 watt difference b/t the 2 Denons and Pioneer. The AVR-4806 is THX Ultra 2 certified, AVR-4306 no certification and VSX-74TXVi is THX select. I am probably missing a few other differences but need your help. I will be hooking up Definitive Techs tower speakers along with a DVD, VCR and HDTV. I do not need the 8000 hookups that some of these offer, however I want quality.

Finally a few questions,
#1. Whats the difference b/t THX Certified as in the 4806 and THX select as the VSX-74TXVi is? ANSWER: the 4806 is Ultra 2 certified, the THX Select is just the certification below Ultra 2
#2. Is THX a must have and impressive?
#3. I see a few electronic websites that offer the receivers for cheaper than others. Is there a store that you guys recommend over others?

I appreciate all comments, time and the expertise in the responses.

Timm.L

mackie

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'd buy the one with the features that are the most important to me and the one that I can get the best deal. Both Denon and Pioneer make killer receivers.

The 10 watt difference is really insignificant.

I recommend buying from an authorized dealer. B-stock and refurbished from an authorized dealer can be a real bargain.

Timm.L

Auditioning
mackie,

Thank you for your reply and I've honestly thought about the options issue vs my needs. I'm torn b/c I want the top of the line with easily accessible updates while paying the best price. Does that incorporate all of them b/c I think it does. I really like the updates that Denon offers with their models but want the THX certification (if its that much of a difference) with iPod access. Anyone have suggestions?

Timm.L

mackie

Supporting Actor
THX seems to be a hit or miss option. Some love it and some hate it. It's not uncommon to hear people with the feature say they stopped using it, so it's not a must have for me. My receiver has plain Dolby Digital and it sounds outstanding.

If the Ipod interface and the upgradeability is your favorite features then get the one with it. Denon has the eq features that people are raving about. Also, pay attention to HDMI switching.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them, and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with any of them.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Timm,

Do you have a local dealer that have these models in stock and will let you try them out in your home?

Like mackee said, you can't really go wrong with any of these three, but if you're worried about it, you can't beat a home audition to figure out which sounds best to you in your home.

As sort of a bonus, a lot of local dealers may match an Internet price, if it's from an authorized dealer. (I always think it's nice to throw business at my hometown)

Timm.L

Auditioning
Jeff Pounds,

Thank you for the info on local dealers matching any Internet price. I did that with my TV and ended up having Best Buy give me money back not once but twice. It was a great day.

Now I do have Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Theater store in there. I guess I could ask them to let use them for a home audition. I know they have the Pioneer elite but if I remember correctly they do not have either of the Denons there so that basically kills that idea.

Does anyone that have a Denon really use the ethernet updates? And does it add that much value? Also what does B-Stock stand for? I am still going back and forth between them all. I appreciate all the comments from you all. If I could find a receiver with THX Select certification with iPod access and ethernet update avaliability I think I would be golden. Anyone know of a receiver with all 3?

Timm.L

mackie

Supporting Actor
B-stock are returned units or opened units. Refurbished are units that were defective and returned. Many times, they are returned to the factory and repaired or tested to make sure there aren't any problems. Just make sure is says something like factory refurbished, factory tested...

You can also look on Audiogon and Ebay for used electronics. You're taking a chance, but the dealings I've had with these sites is positive. I hate to say this but I'll trust used equipment from someone that took care if it more than I will unauthorized dealers.

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure how much value there is on software upgrades. Maybe it can be used to fix software glitches, but in general it won't provide much of "upgrades". Most advancement in home theater involves new input/output terminals, which software update alone cannot provide. New surround formats most likely require change in the logic board. Whether the upgrade path is through ethernet, rs-232, or usb, chances are you may never get to use them.

The sounds in THX mode is different. One of the things it does is timbre matching, which basically makes the sound less bright. It does sound more like what you hear in the movie theater. But to me it sounded a little bit muddy, and I can't say that I liked it.

Like others have said before, you can't go wrong with any of the receivers from the list. Maybe you should look at the secondary criterias, such as length of the warranty, function of remote control, and how the receiver matches the decor. ;)

mark tu

Grip
I did a lot of research before I bought and I have the Denon 4806 - to me it is amazing. (I will warn you that it has a learning curve and the manual is not very well written - it took me a few hours to go thru the manual and set it up)The included set up mic worked great when setting up the sound fields (you should have a camera tripod handy.I love the Ultra2cinema - I just watched the superbit version of Bad Boys II and was highly impressed. I previously had a Sony 5.1 system and the differance is night and day. If it is within your budget, go for it...
Just my 2 cents...
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks