What's new

Help me decide on first surround system (1 Viewer)

stifler

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Goodmorning,
This is my first post and have come here in hops of receiving some solid advice on which system to get. First tings first some background info - so that you can understand my needs. I have recently purchased a plasma screen which I am planning to compliment with glorious sound. The surround receiver will be connected to my satellite dish, PS3, 360 using 2 optical connectors for the consoles and RCA cables for the dish. The setup will be used for Blue-ray, gaming and DVDs

Based on my research I have narrowed down my selection to two possible systems:

* Sony Home Cinema DVD System DAV-DZ830W
* Sony Home Cinema System HT-DDWG800

As the 830W costs 450 euro more than the second option would the investment be worth the money? As in will I get good quality HD sound from above systems and which would you recommend.

Thanks in advance

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Welcome to HTF Nicholas.

Getting "glorious sound" from any home theater in a box (HTiB) is not a reasonable expectation. None come with good speakers and most have other limitations such as proprietary connections, limited options, and unusual output (3 ohm for example).

Having said that, if your budget does not allow for you to get separates, look at the higher end Onkyo HTiB (HT-S5100 or equivalent model in Europe). The Onkyo comes with a real receiver. If later you decide to purchase better speakers, you won't have to worry about the AVR.

Lastly, connect the PS3 using HDMI for your best picture and sound.

stifler

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
I decided to go the custom build way, now im at a dilemma as to which receiver to get I was considering the Onkyo TX-SR576 which is priced at 350 euro which sounds reasonable to me. Am I right in the assumption that I do not need a receiver to decode HD signals as the PS3 can output the sound in linear PCM ? Or must I invest in a HD decoder? Is the extra price for the HD worth it ? sorry im new to surround

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You are correct. The PS3 will decode the sound for you and the 576 will play it.

IMO, the new formats are worth it if you have decent speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks