What's new

Help me decide on a subwoofer and a rear center channel _today_ (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm setting up my surround tonight and need to decide on some speakers. Currently I have a polk center channel w/ 2 drivers, 2 polks in front & 2 jbls in the rear (someday I'll get rear polks).
Regarding the rear center channel: Should I duplicate the front center polk, or wait until there is compelling software? I don't know if I have any titles that would utilize the 6.1 capabilities of my receiver/speakers.
Regarding the subwoofer, I can get a 10" Velodyne powerred sub for $279 open box. My other choices would be a sealed 10" Velodyne for $399, or an 8" for $299. Also I could get a 10" Polk for $349 or an 8" Polk for $249.
I was a bit surprised about the cost of subwoofers in general - simply because I'm new at this, so any recommendations regarding cost and performance would be appreciated. The salesman seemed to recommend the Velodyne even though my other speakers are Polk, but I think HTF has more experts than they do..
Let me know :) Thanks!
Also - should I pick up an optical cable to run from my DVD to my receiver? What should I look at spending on that?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
With a subwoofer you're paying for an amp, driver, & enclosure. In the $399 price range, I think you'll have a hard time beating the Adire Rava. If you wanted to spend a little more, you could go with a HSU VTF-2. If you wanted an inexpensive solution (but not the best music fidelity) check out the Sony SA-WM40.

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
if you can get the psw-650 polk it would be better than the cheaper polk subs but you got to lisen to both subs an see whitch one you like get the one that is less boomy see with one has the most power see if one has better binding posts (5 way) gold i got two psw-650 polks on my system and there real tight & clean for the money there the best you can buy, unless you build your own or kit thank you , joe

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Thank you. I picked up the 10" Velodyne CT100. I'm VERY happy with the system. I'm still not sure if the rear center requires a full center channel, or if it can use just another JBL (I have 2 to spare) speaker. I'm waiting if it requires another center, but if it doesn't I may as well hook up my JBL.

Users who are viewing this thread