Help me decide on a Pickup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Morton, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I have decide to buy or lease a pickup truck this week as my primary vehicle. I have narrowed it down i think to these.
    Toyota Tundra Dodge Ram and recently been looking at the Chevy Siverado 1500. I think the chevy may get me the lowest price, but i worry that the ride will be less than the other 2 and same with reliabity. If i go with the Dodge i think it would be a lease of the 2003, because i do not hear good things about it the past few years so buying a used dodge is not an option . Buying a used Tundra would be my first choice if i could just find a really nice one around 20k. I am looking for what your experience has been buying a truck recently.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm pretty partial to the tundras. My old man has had 2 in a row and loves them. He drives around all day for work, drives them HARD, and never had a problem. The first one had to go because a small bridge he was driving across broke and dropped it upside down in a little creek.. [​IMG]

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I'm partial to older pickups myself. I have a 1987 GMC 3/4 ton long bed that just works and works. Every spring I go get a load of manure, not an issue. Haul rocks or firewood? hahah. Get it muddy inside and out? Rinse it of and out with a hose. Hauls my Alaskan cabover camper like a dream as well. Cost? 2k[​IMG]

Everyone I know with newer pickups spend 35 - 45K on them and then ask me if they can use my beater to haul manure, dirt or firewood around for them. Cracks me up.

Have an Infiniti as my primary vehicle though.

4. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Wondering if there is a specific reason you left out my first choice in new pick-ups the Ford F-150?

5. Tim Morton

Number one...I am also not looking for a 35k truck because the thought of having to winch every time i loaded a pice of lumber in the back is not what i'm looking for. i would like to stay aroudn 20k on a buy or maybe more on a lease. But buy is prefered.
    Number two...the ONLY reason i left out the F-150, which i do like by the way is that in my neighborhood..2 of the 3 guys i am friends with have f-150's(the other is a dodge ram)...and the thoght of 3 f-150's in this small neighborhood is a little much*L*

Thansk for the input.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'd go with the F-150 and forget the fact your friends have them too. Get a truck you like, not one because you'll be "unique" on your block.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If I had the cash, I'd probably go Toyota, based on my mechanic's experiences. My uncle swears by his Dodge. I prefer the body styling of the smaller (newer) Fords, or the old Tacomas, of course, I'm pretty hard to please in that regard.

Since I can't afford a truck these days, I'll put off this decision for a while.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Current Tundras have upgraded front calipers and other mods to fix the rotor warping that occurred on earlier models.
    It was mostly a problem for those who "rode" the brakes down long grades rather than shift out of overdrive anyway.

I am a tech in a Toyota dealer service dept, have been for over 30 years, and I've driven lots of Tundras and they are nice, but the interior is a bit too Ford-like for my taste--too much cheap hard plastic and ovoid shapes with cheap switchgear. The ride tends to be too soft in my opinion--too "floaty" at city speeds but high-speed stability is adequate (just).

I rented a Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended cab last fall for a 400 mile round trip to my folks' house to pick up a couple of recliners. The one I rented had the 4.7 liter V8, a pushrod design same displacement as the DOHC 32 valve Tundra (a Lexus design with Lexus complexity), and amazingly just as powerful and willing to rev. Chevy has hydraulic lifters and no timing belt to deal with.

The ride was quite good, not harsh by any means, but much better controlled than the Tundra's. High speed stability on the Freeway was also much better--this thing was totally immune to crosswinds or semitruck wakes, tracked like a Mercedes. The body construction felt more solid than the Toyota's and my rental with 17k miles on it was totally rattle-free. Seat was more supportive than Tundra's and interior materials a bit better in my opinion.

The Chev had standard 4 wheel disc brakes with abs, Tundra is disc/drum and ABS is extra. The pedal on the Chevy was nice and firm and easily modulated, not spongy like the Tundras.

I don't like pickups but by the time I returned that Silverado to Enterprise I was trying to find reasons why I needed one of my own--never felt that way about the Tundra.

I know that the Tundra will run trouble free for a very long time, but the Chevy was overall a more solid feeling truck with superior driving characteristics, just as quiet a ride, and just as slick and responsive a powertrain.

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you want a beater, the old model tacomas (or the pickups) can do the job very well. My friend really likes the 85' Toyota 4runners because the top can come off and the 4x4 can go offroading with a few easy add-ons.

Not to mention the old model beaters are all in the $3,000 range thus leaving you a tidy budget to be put into HT equiptment. [​IMG]

I think the new toyota trucks and the new tundra is overpriced. I like the new Dodge and Fords better than toyota while I have a slight bias against chevys.

10. Tim Morton

I'm leaning toward the chevy silverado as well.There is a nice 2001 on the lot next to where i work (its the only dealer in this small town i live in, but its a 2500, which would be ok but i went to test drive it yesterday and it was up front and running...came back an hour later and it was still up front..I'm thinking it was sold. Problem is you read lots of things about chevy troubles...so i'm a bit leary of buying used as they only come with 3 year 36k warrantee's.

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I worked in the automotive industry for several years, dealing with upper management down to the line worker. I was responsible for the body prep specifically at GM but participated frequently at other manufacturing facilities of Ford and Chrysler.
    Being responsible body prep quality and any quality improvements concerning prep, I found my hardest task was usually at Chrysler but GM could be a little stubborn also. Ford moved on quality issues a little faster most of the time.
    Still, I only came away from the industry with an opinion to stay away from Chrysler products.
    Having driven many GM vehicles as company cars and owned several Ford and GM vehicles, my overall experiences were confirmed by my overall impressions from vehicle to vehicle.
    Being a maintenance addict, most of the vehicles I owned or drove were fairly solid and rarely required anything other than routine. BUT, OVERALL, the GM vehicles, although mechanically as good as any, had problems with electronics a little too often. Even now, my brother,a friend, a neighbor, and on my last vehicle (A Chev), switches go out way too much. Window switches, heater/ac switches,etc. None have purchased a Chev for their next vehicle.
    I personally own 2 Ford F150's now. Both with lots of miles and both living up to my expectations after getting an overall impression of the various automakers.
    Buying a new vehicle still isn't a crapshoot but you are definitely tied to the results of good engineering and quality workmanship. And there is something about MONDAY and FRIDAY vehicles.........

12. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

BUT, OVERALL, the GM vehicles, although mechanically as good as any, had problems with electronics a little too often. Even now, my brother,a friend, a neighbor, and on my last vehicle (A Chev), switches go out way too much. Window switches, heater/ac switches,etc. None have purchased a Chev for their next vehicle.
    You just described my experience with Ford products.

13. Tim Morton

That is my concern as well, having owned one american car in the past 15 years, i think i'm spoiled by the reliability of my honda accord. i do not want to make a purchase only to be hassling with getting it fixed every other month.

14. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I would suggest that unless you really need it for towing and/or hauling to stick witht the 1/2 ton trucks and not to go up to the 3/4 ton. They generally have alot stiffer ride due to the heavier suspension. Also your gas mileage will suffer with a heavier truck and larger engine (not that mileage on trucks is good to begin with).

15. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I leased a 2000 Silverado for 3 years. It was turned in September 2002. Mine was the 1/2 ton extended cab 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. It was a great truck and hated to turn it in. The only problem I had in 3 years and 43,000 miles of ownership was a front shock absorber that started leaking. It was covered under warranty. It pulled my boat with ease, hauled lots of firewood, dirt and various other items. This truck drove like a dream, sometimes I would forget I was driving a truck. If I were in the market for another truck it would probably be a Silverado. So you're probably wondering why I didn't get another one? 19 MPG and gas priced near $2 a gallon.

16. Tim Morton

Thanks Mark for the good words. And yes gas is getting expensive here in vermont as well. I only put about 6000 miles a year on a vehicle so i am ok with the lower gas milage. my 6cl accord gets around 21mpg.

17. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
  18. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Buzz,

The upgrade on the Tundra brakes involved larger calipers, new rotors, different backing plates which allowed better ventilation. There was a tsb issued and earlier models can be retrofitted to the new spec under warranty. If your friend has just been getting new rotors without the complete upgrade, he might look into asking Toyota to do the retrofit (under a "goodwill" policy if his warranty's expired). If he hasn't already done so I strongly recommend he try a different dealer and present his records for all the previous repair attempts, and request to talk with the factory service rep about this problem.

I suspect his current dealer has just been turning the rotors or replacing them and hasn't tried the retrofit yet.

They also may not be properly torquing the wheel lugnuts. If the lugnut torque isn't even on all 6 nuts, the rotor is likely to warp again. There may also be some wobble in his wheel bearings, which also get replaced in the retrofit because it's impossible to install the new backing plate without changing the wheel bearings.

They may not be adjusting his rears up enough (the auto adjustment only occurs when the parking brake is applied and many automatic owners never use the parking brake), causing the fronts to have to work to hard and overheat. There's also a brake proportioning valve that adjusts line pressure to the rears according to vehicle load which may be out of whack.

It's an unfortunate fact that many dealership shops don't bother to get to the root cause of problems like this, and Toyota is partly to blame because they don't reimburse for the lengthy diagnostic time necessary. Either the dealership or more commonly the tech has to eat the loss. This is standard practice for all mfgs. not just Toyota, and a leading reason why it's often difficult or impossible to get warranty issues corrected.

We've done a number of these retrofits, but the percentage of early models we've needed to do it on is only maybe 10% of the eligible trucks we've sold. So far nobody who's gotten the retrofit has had the warping re-occur.

19. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I've got a 2001 Toyota Tundra and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it yet.(knock on wood)

The one complaint I could have about it is the leg room in the back seat. I have the access cab, and there's just not that much room back there. Especially since I have to have the driver's seat all the way back. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I was willing to live with it. Mostly because I would never have to sit back there. [​IMG]

Steve,
    Could I run into the brake/rotor problem with my 2001 or has the fix been put in since then? If not, do you recommend getting the fix taken care of, even if I haven't any problems since I'm still under warranty? How do I go about that? Is it just as simple as going to the dealer and saying I want it fixed/replaced?

Thanks