Help me decide: Hi-Vi, Peerless, or Stryke for MTM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Carswell, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I am going to try to build my 1st DIY MTM Left Center Right and MT surround speakers with the following as driver options:

1.Hi-Vi F6 6 1/2" *edit- decided not to use*
    PRO's: shielded, good SPL 89db @1w, not bad fs 42-4000 Hz
    CON's: low power 85watts max, most expensive $47

2.Peerless 850122 6 1/2"
    PRO's: best fs 38-5000 Hz, hi Power 210watts max, cheap $37
    CON's: low SPL 87db @2.83w

3.Stryke SA071 7"
    PRO's: cheap as Hell $10, neat as Hell, simple xover avail.
    CON's: not sure on fs 45-?4000? Hz, 60watts RMS ?? watts max

4.Vifa P17 6 1/2" *edit-decided to add to the mix*

I would like to have the higher power handling capabilities as they will be powered by my Adcom GFA-555 200watts or GFA-6000 100watts. This is b/c I will bi-wire them to a 12" woofer/bass module I will be building for them to sit on.
    Something to look like a NHT 3.3 or VT-2.4. A MTM on top of a side loaded woofer.

I need to get 10 drivers (& 5 tweeters) so I am really leaning toward the Stryke SA071 money wise. They have a good response of approximately +/- 1dB from 70Hz to 3000Hz. There is a simple MTM crossover available at Stryke which is great b/c I know nothing about crossovers. This is another reason why I'm going with more forgiving & cheaper drivers. It would be a waist of time and $ to get a great set up with crappy crossovers. Once I get the drivers down I can start to open the Pandora's Crossover Box in another thread. After I get some experience I can start to use the better stuff; seas, scan-speak, etc.)

Ohhhhh yessss, almost forgot. I am pretty much set to use the Focal TC90TD5 tweeter unless someone can convince me to go with Morel; MDT-30 or MDT-20 (which some of you are).

Thanks guys for any and all the help!!!

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

HiVi is rumored to have poor quality control. Peerless is OK. Never seen, heard, or measured the Stryke.

I'd try the Vifa P17. There's a shielded variant, and it's very smooth on the roll-off, so it's easy for a first-time designer.

I'd really avoid an MTM or a ported box for a first design. Do the MT surrounds first.

3. have you considered the GR130 at www.gr-research.com hell of a driver for the price! Danny uses that driver with Focal Tc90Tdx in a simple series XO design for his MTM and MT.

4. Chris Carswell

Dan,
    If it is the wood working aspect that you are refering to then have NO FEAR. I will try to post some links of the stuff we built [​IMG] Crossovers are what scare me [​IMG]
    Anthony,
    Is there a link to Danny's page/setup? Would the GR165 be better suited for the job?
    Thanks Guys[​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

http://www.gr-research.com/
    Dan is referring to crossover design. The MTM is more complicated than the TM. Box wise there is no difference in difficulty of construction.
    With out some electrical engineering background and good measuring equipment I would not attempt to design my own crossover. I'd work off of the freely available designs or kits that are out there.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,
    You'd get much better results by going with a predesigned "kit" speaker than trying to build from scratch. Since it's the crossover that scares you, this makes even more sense.
    GR's A/V-1+ speaker is an MTM design that uses two GR130's and a 1" soft dome tweeter. It would be hard to beat for $300.
    Here's a link to the A/V-1+ page.
    Brian

7. Chris Carswell

Dustin & Brian,
    Thanks for the tips guys. I really liked the GR designs. The Paradox 1+ & 3 as well as the A/V 1+ & 3. Problem is $$$. I think we all have that one. I need to get L, C, R, Surr.L, & Surr.R so $ is a big factor here. I was trying to keep parts below $500. With Kits I am looking at 2x that. I do have a Ele. Engineer friend who can build the xovers for me. I just need to show him a diagram of what I need. He has access to even print out & custom make/mill our own boards. I plan to copy some DIY xovers designs on the web and go from there if all else fails. Zalytron, Stryke, and Audax have some good simple ones. We shall see what type of trouble I can get into [​IMG]

8. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

You might want to try some daytons. Hard to beat at their price point

9. Chris Carswell

I haven't heard much on those.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

WayneJ just put up a page that provides links to all of his projects. I can't vouch for any of the project (because I haven't listen to any of them), but many others seem to be very happy with his designs.
    WayneJ's Projects

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I noticed that too Pat. But his Dayton II isn't on the list. The one that uses the 5.25" dayton driver in a TM is there, but not the one that uses the 6.5" dayton driver in a TM like the Dayton III uses.

14. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Hey Chris,

I beleive we chatted a bit via email. With a hard limit of $500 of parts, this is a real easy pick - Vifa P17WJ and D25AG-35 two-way MT. There's several box and crossover designs published for it on the net, it's right in your price range, and it's as tried-and-true as they come for a first time DIY speaker. I've heard some of the kits listed and built several of my own speakers (including this very combo, which I had my own crossover for til it was lost in a computer crash) and I think you would find this a most pleasant speaker. Not the last word in midrange detail, but they do enough right to make up for that.

Mark
    PS - I'll respond to that last email as soon as I'm back in my hometown (visiting the folks this weekend).

15. Chris Carswell

Hi All.
    Some of those look good. Wayne does a great job on his stuff as well. Are there any MTM designs with the Vifa P17WJ and D25AG-35? I want to stick with this shape/design.
    Mark, I found a xover link on the stryke page, now to incorporate a different tweeter, MDT-30 or MDT-20. I did speak with John at Stryke today about some xover #'s with those tweeters. I got to send him some specs on the Morel's so he might be able to come up with something as well. We shall see. I am really looking forward to your email reply[​IMG]
    Pat, You like and use the Morel. What is the big difference between the MDT-30 & 20? They both go pretty low and have the same SPL. The 30 does handle more power & is fluid cooled so would probably have less distortion at higher SPL, so I'm guessing.
    Thanks again guys. You all rock[​IMG]

16. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

Chris, I'm using a MTM design with the P17 and the D25AG-35. It's not bad, but I find the tweeters a little harsh (because of the Alu dome I'm guessing). It's actually a 2.5 way design, with one woofer acting only below 200Hz.
    PM me if you would the XO and cabinet design.
    Mass technologies have a MTM design using a D27 and the P17, and also a MT design using the D25 and P17. Click on the project design sheets to get them.

17. Chris Carswell

Ashley,
    That seems to be a good / popular set up. I will drop you a line for the XO and cabinet design. I would like to look at them and compare it to others.
    Cheers.
    Chris
    BTW, Welcome to the forum. It is a great place[​IMG]