What's new

Help me decide Denon 1920 or Yamaha C950 (1 Viewer)

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
In terms of build, audio and video quality along with future proof which would you buy. Early reply sincerely appreciated Thanks

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm looking at the 950 also but not alot of info on it,more on the 750 which is a notch down.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I own a Yamaha 6770 (same as the 750) and a Denon 756 (I think the same as the 1920 but not sure) and I would chose the Yamaha. On paper the Denon should be better, but to me the 6770 has a much sharper picture. I paused a movie at the same point with both players and studied the picture up close and it was no contest. I know there are other ways to judge a picture, but as soon as I hooked up the 756 I noticed it was a little fuzzy compared to the Yamaha so I concentrated on that part of it. As for sound quality, both are excellent for the price in both digital and multi-channel. Build quality also goes to the Yamaha. It weights more than twice as much as the Denon and feels more stout. Neither remote stands out. The Yamaha's is smaller with fewer buttons while the Denon's is very lite and feels cheap. But both get the job done. As for set-up and ease of use, the Denon wins this one. The Yamaha is slower to load and the menu can be confusing. The Denon's manual is also a little easier to use. On the "future proof" part I would think both would be about equal but to be truthful, I really don't know. In short, I would chose the Yamaha based on what I see as a much sharper picture.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
After proper calibration, it should be no contest, the Denon DVD-1920 would be preferred. Individual preferences and certain displays can certainly change that however.

Chris

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm not sure the 1920 will have a better pic then the 950.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I thought so to. That's why I bought it. Since I've been meaning to give the 756 another try I figured now is a good time so I replaced the 6770 with the 756, re-calibrated the tv with the S&V setup disc and even did a convergence on the tv. Unfortunately I don't have a set-up/test disc with the wavey flagg, chroma bug or any other video evaluation but as far as sharpness is concerned the result is the same. The Denon's picture just isn't as clear as the Yamaha's. Maybe I have a sub-par 756 or a really good 6770. And there are things I like about the Denon over the Yamaha. But picture quality is #1 so the Yamaha stays and the Denon goes back to a secondary room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks