Help me decide between SVS PB1-ISD vs HSU VTF 2 or 3 MKII

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Glenn Verde, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Glenn Verde

Glenn Verde Extra

I am trying to decide between the 3 subs. The HSU VTF2 MKII may be my third choice because of power. I know on this forum SVS seems to be the sub of choice. Will I go wrong on either the VTF-3 MKII or the SVS PB1-ISD? I haven't heard any of them so it is by the reviews only. The new HSU VTF-3 has a new 350 watt amp vs. 320 on the SVS. Will the HSU go a little lower? my room size is 15 x 21 x 7.5 with an open balconey and open stairway at one end. Thanks.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I reviewed the $600 SVS PB1-ISD against the $600 Hsu STF-3. That review is hotlinked in my signature block. The PB1-ISD has a definite advantage in deep extension and clean output in the lowest octave over the STF-3.

The $700 VTF-3 is rated for a bit deeper extension in the stock tune than the STF-3 (25 Hz vs. 22 Hz). The VTF-3 might match up better against the PB1-ISD from a deep extension standpoint.

The VTF-3 can also be tuned to 18 Hz by plugging one port and altering the tune switch. But overall output will naturally be reduced by a few dB in the 18 Hz tune vs. the 22 Hz tune.

Probably a better match-up (price wise) against the VTF-3 would be the variable tune SVS 25-31PC+ with the dB-12 Plus driver and 525 watt BASH amp with CV phase control.

Or if you want to stay box-box, perhaps the piano gloss or rosewood finish VTF-3 vs. the wood finish (choice of stains) PB1-Plus. The PB1+ has the same driver and amp as the 25-31PC+, but also sports a single band parametric equalizer.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ed

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have read Edward’s review and it is very complete. Another forum member, Craig reviewed the VTF-3 and a couple of other $600 subs over on the Home Theater Spot. You can find the review ‘partly titled the best $600 sub’ here.

Like Edward, Criag spent a lot of time and effort in his comparisons. Very valuable.

4. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same situation and finally went with the vtf-3 mainly because of the price.Getting free shipping closed the deal for me.My room is 28x14x7.5 and the sub fills it effortlessly.With both my wife and me on the sectional and the vtf-3 about 8 ft away the whole couch shakes during the cannon blasts in Master and Commander.Even more important is the sound,which I don't know how to describe.Tight and smooth,maybe?The cannon blasts are coming fully from the sub and the vtf-3 makes them sound musical if that makes sense.Very happy with it-have had it only 2 weeks.I'm sure if I had gone svs I would be raving about them now too-from all I've read they're products are great.