What's new

Help Me Decide Between Amps (1 Viewer)

I have recently upgraded my 15 year old 2 channel Kenwood receiver and 20 year old college speakers. I currently purchased a NAD T752 5 channel recever 80 watts/channel, PSB 5T mains, 8C center, 1B sourrounds. I have a low powered KLH sub that will soon be replaced in the near future by a HSU or SVS. My listening room is 20 x 15 x 8 with the front area open with stairway and balcony. I am thinking about purchasing either a used 2 channel NAD 2600A 150/channel amp or a Adcom 3 channel GFA-5503 200 /channel to run my mains and my NAD receiver for preamp to run the surrounds or center. The dilemna is the Adcom is a little more than double the price of the NAD amp. Will I be ok with the NAD amp with the warm sound integrating with the NAD receiver or is it better to get the Adcom to run the fronts and center channel. Any ideas will be appreciated since i never owned amps before or a surround setup. Thanks. Glenn

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd say your most prudent course of action here would be to buy that sub first and then determine as best you can whether or not you would benefit from additional amplification.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Glenn, are you shopping for used amps? You can get better amps for less money if you go used. audiogon.com is a good place to check out.

As for your specific question, the NAD amp would be fine. The Adcom is not worth the extra dough IMO.

Just as an example, here is a good B&K amp for $450, these are warm amps in general...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1083886138

Chu has a good point as well. Getting a good sub now and then crossing your speakers over at a higher freq would make a big difference as well.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a nad c370 integrated amp from www.saturdayaudio.com. I don't know how much you were thinking about spending, but the c270 amp is $400 brand new in the box, authorized with warranty. It's 120watts x 2 @ 4&8 ohm. It's shown on the deals page of the the address listed above.

Thanks guys for all the info. Aaron that is a good deal on that NAD amp. Charles I do like that 3 channel amp B&K amp at Audiogone. That is the place I was looking at the two used amps. The NAD was $270 and the Adcom was $650. I'd rather get the 3 channel B&K for $450 than the 3 channel Adcom. The NAD still looks good for $270 which is closer to my budget. Would the B&K at 140/channel be worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks