Help me decide between a HK 520 and a Yamaha 1300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doroshenk, Aug 7, 2002.

1. John Doroshenk

Now both of these seem like great recievers for roughly the same price. Which one would you go with, I've listened to them both and they both sound great. I'm using Polk RT600's for the front polk fx300 for the rear, polk 245 for the center and the SVS 16-48pci for my sub. Anyone have experience with these or similar models(the 1300 is brand new) and these speakers, I'm ready to drop some money on one of them and can't decide. From what I gather, they both have 192/24 dacs, internal bass management, DPLII, and basically the same functionalities. Help me please

John

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

HK offers the best of both worlds w/ music and movies. Yamaha is known for its excelling HT qualities. I have had several of both receivers.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you listen to more music, then H/K. If more H/T, then it probably doesn't matter.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have been looking at both of these 2 for a receiver-as-a-pre/pro.
    Yamaha has (stupid) fixed crossover at 90 Hz. But DSP processing for HT is the best in my opinion.
    But H/K you can only run small with a crossover of 80 or 100 Hz. You have to go full range mains if you want a *low pass* to you sub of 60 or 40 Hz.
    Logic 7 on the HK can only be applied to 2 channel sources, not 5.1 sources. (I could have lived with the 1st, this one is a deal killer for me. I lust after Logic 7! [​IMG] )
    The HK doesn't have DD EX. But with L7 wouldn't have mattered, but again, no L7 on 5.1 sources.
    Me? I'm really curious as to the next gen of the 520. Amazingly reviewed on www.audioreview.com .

5. John Doroshenk

I guess from these post, I can't go wrong. Uggg, this is tough, I'm now leaning more towards the HK, I don't really know why, but I have to lean towards one or the other right? Thanks for the input everyone, I think I might get this during lunch.

6. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I dunno if this helps but I have heard both and like the power of the HK. It doesn't break up at high volumes and NEVER clips. I can't get it to anyway. The Yammie seems to get "brighter" as it gets louder. Just my opinions