What's new

Help me decide between a 30" widescreen and a 36" fullscreen. (1 Viewer)

Jason Dombowski

Auditioning
hey gang,

I'm in the market for a new, my first, hi def TV. First step is to decide what size screen, then research models.

Some background first. I currently have a 27" 4:3 TV. My viewing distances are 4-6 ft(small room). Over half my current TV use is for DVD's. I only watch a handful of primetime TV shows. My 2nd biggest TV use is for sports. MLb and NFL mainly, some NHL. Half the baseball(redsox) games are hi def right now, same for nhl. Don't know about NFL yet.

Looking at prices it seems I can get a 36" 4:3 for about the same price as a quality 30" 16:9, around $1200. A 34" 16:9 would be ideal, but prices are beyond my budget.

Do you think a 30" would be too small? would a 36" be too big, yes it is possible to be too big. I'm used to black bars on the top and bottom, so that part is fine with the 4:3 set. I've never seen sidebars before so that could take some getting used to. I'm pretty sure I would not like the distorted picture of the 16:9 set stretch modes.

Is the picture quality better on 16:9 sets? I know 16:9 is the future, but there will be more 4:3 material around for many many years, even after they stop making it.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jason

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Your best bet is probably a 36" 4:3 set.

In my opinion Sony makes the best tube tvs. The 36 HS510 is a perfect option for you. It's got an anamorphic squeeze option and the picture can't be beat. I also think it is a perfect size for your room. When watching something with widescreen it's the equivalent of a 33" widescreen tv. It's a win/win for you. :)

Dan

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend getting a widescreen and by next month they will become far cheaper. Panasonic is releasing a 34" widescreen HDTV with a MSRP of $1,400. It has an HDMI input and 2 HD component inputs.

Jason Dombowski

Auditioning
Any idea what street price might be? Less than MSRP, right? This might make other companies lower their prices too,I hope anyway. thx

jason

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Street prices are highly variable but are almost always below the MSRP. The street price for the Panasonic will most likely be between $1200 to $1300. Online the best price you will probably get from a reputable seller will be $1300 with shipping included.

M_a_r_k^NE

Agent
I would go for the 36 inch 4.3. with V compression. V Compression is a cool feature on some new 4.3 TVs that squeeze a widescreen movie onto 4.3. screen with less or no black bars. Dont forget the 3 line digital comb filter. Makes a better picture. It seems that is standard nowadays. HDMI and/or DVI input is also a factor. I also like look for a tube TV with the speakers on the bottom instead of on the side. Better spacewise, but most speakers are on the sides. ARGH. I thought I read somewhere that Sony was coming out with a 38 inch 4.3 TV.

It really depends too on how far you sit away from the TV.
Just move closer to the TV.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
for that small of viewing area the 30" would be great.

but if you ever move and want a slightly bigger picture I would go with the 36"

me, I bought a Sony Wega XBR800 36" HDTV brand new in box not to long ago for $1100 at tweeter. I am quite happy with it. Sony gives a hell of a picture. I looked at them all and the Sony blew me away!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks