Help me decide between 43H70 & 55H70

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sujeet Patel, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

I'm in a situation I didn't expect to be in.. I had decided to get the Sony Wega 36FS27, but after seeing it in the store today, decided it wasn't big enough for me.. The store had a new 2002 Mitsubishi 45609 45" non-HD RPTV, but for the price they were asking ($1700 + tax, free shipping), I'm well into the Toshiba HDTV line.
    My problem is that I've all but decided to get the 43H70 (unless the 43HX70 is worth the extra money?), and when I went to place the order, found out that I can get the 55H70 for $50 more than the 43H70! (For those curious, $1775 for the 43", $1825 for the 55", no tax or shipping charges)
    Now, this seems like a no-brainer, bigger usually is better, especially on this forum it seems.. I'm putting this in an average sized room, with high ceilings, but I'm going to only be sitting 9 feet away from the TV, and if I have company, they could be sitting even closer, at a slight angle. Will going this big pose a problem to me/them?
    I will primarily be watching cable TV (I'll upgrade to digital cable when I get the TV), which is why I didn't go for the wide-screen HD format, and I can live with the black lines for 16:9 DVD watching. I'd love to wait for the new models to come out (43HX71 or 50HX71), but I don't have the time or patience to do that.. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

2. Doug_F

Doug_F Auditioning

I was in the same situation you're in at the beginning of the year. I was considering the 43H70 with stand until I determined that I could get the 55H70 for about the same price. I set up a template of the different screen sizes and hung them in the area the TV sits in, then sat in my normal viewing chair. I decided then that the 43" would not be big enough for me so I ordered the 55". I normally sit about 7 1/2 feet away from the set (at a slight angle) and I'm very happy with the way it looks.