Help me cure my Humming WEGA

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael__M, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I've got a problem with my Sony 36HS500 WEGA. It has this constanst hum that is getting very annoying. It has probably always been there, I just started watching more TV recently to notice. I've connected and disconnected all the interconnects and cable and it is definitely noise generated by the dirty AC this thing is getting. I backtracked and found that the TV is on the same circuit as my ceiling fan rheostat. When I swith the fan L/M/H, I can hear a pop from the TV. What is the easiest way to isolate/filter the AC for the TV? Getting rid of the rheostat is not an option because of the layout and high celings. It is impossible to run a new line to this wall without major construction. What is this type of interference called?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, it's "electrical interference." Is it safe to assume you've plugged the Sony into a surge protector?

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

It's plugged into the surge protector. Sorry about the simplistic "what is this problem called Q". I see references to EMI and RFI inteference when I look at power conditioning products. I was just wondering if one of those pertain to my problem or not. My surge protector is not a good one I'm sure. Do the nicer surge devices filter this interference? Panamax is one brand I have been looking at.

4. Mike_Bauer

Mike_Bauer Extra

Have you tried a long extension cord that is plugged into a cleaner outlet? I know that is simplistic, but it might give you better baseline.

Yes, you can run a new line(s) to it and it shouldn't cost too much. Do you have room in your breaker box to add an additional circuit?

It is also possible it is more than one thing, the filtering circuit (on the powersupply) on your Sony might not be up to snuff, how old is it?

A surge protector won't help with noise, a power conditioner or isolation transformer might. Try plugging the Sony in someplace else and see what happens. Your fan may have a bad motor, triac, or who knows. Another test might be to plug a table radio in where you have the Sony and see if you get the same interference. Do you get color bars in the picture of the Sony.

Sorry to be asking more questions than providing answers. Have you tried a long extension cord that is plugged into a cleaner outlet? I know that is simplistic, but it might give you better baseline.