What's new

Help me convince my wife on the 57" (1 Viewer)

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
Wife finally gave me go ahead on upgrading our TV. I think a 57" would be ideal, we are about 11 feet from screen. She thinks NO WAY! it's to big, how about a 50" or 51". I start pulling out data on viewing angles and calculators on optimal distance and it's still NO WAY, it's to big. Had a Crutchfield catalog handy and showed her the dimensions of the Sony 51" and 57". I figured these number would be representative of most sets. The difference was 5 inches longer and 2 inches deeper. I thought I had her but still hanging tough. You would think I was asking for 5 additional inches of closet space. Help me convince her or convince me that there is not much difference between 51 and 57.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
What's her argument? She has a reason, right (other than it simply "looks" too big for her tastes)?

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
Her big compaint is that it is just too big and shaped like a box. She doesn't know how to integrate the decor with the TV. Our family room is roughly 18x18 with 10 ft ceilings

You could get a front projection system with a zoom, then have a little screen for her, and a big one for you.:D
I have a similar situation at the moment. Everytime I talk about upgrading to a new projector, I get the silent treatment.
You could use the line that the bigger TV would be harder to steal? Or try putting it to her that when you're spending this much money on a TV, you want to ensure that you are getting the best value for your dollar.
Seriously though, have your though of getting a front projection system? If you do it right, it's no where near as intrusive as a rear projection TV, and you could even end up with a bigger sceen:D .

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
You could use the line that the bigger TV would be harder to steal?
I never thought of that.

We live in Phoenix AZ and our house is pretty open with lots of sunlight. We can control the light somewhat in our family room but not enough for a front proj., at least I don't think so. Dealer gave us a demo on a front proj, A Runco which is way out of our price. All he did was turn the lights on and the entire picture was fairly washed out.
Wife would never go for heavy felt curtains on the windows and watch TV/Movies in the dark.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
In that large a room, the extra 5 inches in width just won't matter to your decor. Don't think in terms of this being a "TV set", but as a movie screen!
There are any number of entertainment units consisting of vertical shelved cabinets on either side with a "bridge" across the top that will surround the set and disguise the depth it takes, while making the box itself less conspicuous than it would be just standing there naked. This almost makes it look "built in". If there are any unfinished furniture outlets in your area you could probably find what you need at a decent price and finish it yourself.

I bought a 53" widescreen last fall and after a couple of weeks returned it for a 57" model. My viewing distance is 13 feet, and if my budget allowed I could easily get away with a 65"

Most people's experience, even wive's has been that these things look huge the first few days, but then "shrink" once you get accustomed to them.

A co-worker of mine bought a 45" set because his wife insisted anything larger would be too big. 2 weeks later SHE said she wished they'd gotten a bigger set!

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know the exact model number. It was a new Runco two piece unit and retailed for about $17,000 USD, like I said way out of my range. Really didn't pay to much attention to price when it exceeds the price of economy cars. Wasn't really shopping for a front proj., dealer just wanted to give me the demo. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer, claimed this was the best proj. in the consumer market.

If it was up to me I would get the 65" since I think 11' will support it if not we could push the furniture back and probably get 14-15'. Since I'm having trouble with the 57" the 65" is out of the question

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
just tell her, that if you get the 57" now, it will save a step from wanting to upgrade from a 51 to a 57 to a 65. that the 57 is middle ground, and its cheaper to go ahead and get it now, than to buy a 51 and then get the 57 later anyhow :D

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link Dominic. I think I'll print it out and give it to my wife, what do you think. Then tell her how willing I am to compromise.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Integrating the tv with the decor is kind of moot considering you've also got a rack of components as well as 5 to 7 speakers plus 1-4 subs, not to mention a stack of dvds/cds. Oh I forgot the console systems you are planning to buy. There's no way an interior designer could make all this equipment blend with the "decor."

What are your future plans for this ht? Also, what motif does the family room have. Is it modern? Is it traditional?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I think she REALLY wants a 57" TV with the 'diamond earings' add-on.
Or insist on getting a Pioneer Elite instead, since it looks like a nice piece of furniture.
:)

With that projector at least you won't have to worry about there being too much light! That thing would turn night into day!:)

clay f

Grip
what i would do in your situation would be to buy a 51" widescreen tv. i dont know if that would still be too big, but it is a compromise, and it is still worth a shot if u like widescreens.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Why don't you buy the 57" and tell her that it is the 51" unit ...

Is she going to measure it? I thought they were giving me the 51" ... (Gee honey, I didn't know, just assumed it was the 51" ... honest.)

(Given that women lie to men all the time anyway ... just think of this as payback ... he he he)

Regards

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Just get the 57 and she gives you any lip then introduce her to the FOOT.......J/K

Justin Gates

Agent
Just let her know that TV's tend to "shrink" over time.

I got a 51" Sony about 3 weeks ago. At first the picture was huge. My seating distance is a mere 8.5'. Now that I've adjusted to the set, I really wish I went with the 57".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks