Help Me Configure My Sony 5 Disc DVD Changer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cslinger, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Cslinger

Cslinger Auditioning

Aug 4, 2006
    I have a Sony 5 Disc DVD changer and do not completely understand the best audio settings so if you wouldn't mind I would like to run a few things past everybody.

1) I have an Onkyo TXSR601 receiver that has Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, etc. decoders built in. The receiver is pretty much designed for home theater.

2) I am unclear as to what the DVD players settings should be to make sure the receiver does all the decoding etc. In the setup menu I have a place to indicate the following. These may not be the exact menu names but this should get across my questions.

DTS (YES OR NO) Do I set this to yes or no. Does this mean the DVD player decodes? If I leave no will the receiver handle?

Digital (YES OR NO) I am running an optical cable so this needs to be set to YES.

Dolby Surround (Dolby Surround or Normal) Once again if I select normal will the receiver handle everything or do I need to select Dolby Surround?

Those are the big questions at this point. There is also something call ATT or something to that effect that I haven't figured out what it is for but I think the above will get me going.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mar 29, 2000
    Digital YES
    Dolby Surround (Dolby Surround or Normal) - Generally this is for the analog out.
    SInce you have the Onkyo connected up digitally it would not affect t. I have my analog out connected up to the audio input to my TV so I don't need to turn my system on if I don't want to. If you do the same -Normal is the setting you want

There is also something call ATT - I believe that is attentuation probably as a 3dB drop in the overall sound. People turn that on so someone can't turn it up too loud (child /girlfriend) and blow the speakers.