What's new

Help Me Configure My Sony 5 Disc DVD Changer (1 Viewer)

Cslinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I have a Sony 5 Disc DVD changer and do not completely understand the best audio settings so if you wouldn't mind I would like to run a few things past everybody.

1) I have an Onkyo TXSR601 receiver that has Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, etc. decoders built in. The receiver is pretty much designed for home theater.

2) I am unclear as to what the DVD players settings should be to make sure the receiver does all the decoding etc. In the setup menu I have a place to indicate the following. These may not be the exact menu names but this should get across my questions.

DTS (YES OR NO) Do I set this to yes or no. Does this mean the DVD player decodes? If I leave no will the receiver handle?

Digital (YES OR NO) I am running an optical cable so this needs to be set to YES.

Dolby Surround (Dolby Surround or Normal) Once again if I select normal will the receiver handle everything or do I need to select Dolby Surround?

Those are the big questions at this point. There is also something call ATT or something to that effect that I haven't figured out what it is for but I think the above will get me going.

Thanks
Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
DTS YES - Onkyo can decode DTS
Digital YES
Dolby Surround (Dolby Surround or Normal) - Generally this is for the analog out.
SInce you have the Onkyo connected up digitally it would not affect t. I have my analog out connected up to the audio input to my TV so I don't need to turn my system on if I don't want to. If you do the same -Normal is the setting you want

There is also something call ATT - I believe that is attentuation probably as a 3dB drop in the overall sound. People turn that on so someone can't turn it up too loud (child /girlfriend) and blow the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks