What's new

Help me compose a list of films (1 Viewer)

RobR

Second Unit
I've become a great fan of films utilizing quick editing and unusual techniques such as Natural Born Killers, Requiem for a Dream, Memento, Midnight Cowboy, and Run Lola Run. I'd like to view more such films. Do you know of any (in addition to the aforementioned ones)?

I read that Pi is one such film, but I haven't seen it.

Darren H

Second Unit
Rob, although he wasn't completely without precedent, many of those editing techniques originated with Jean-Luc Godard. Start with Breathless, his most famous and accessible film, then check out Alphaville, My Life to Live, Pierrot le Fou, and A Woman is a Woman, all available on decent DVDs.

And, if you want to dig a bit deeper, head straight to the source: the Soviet filmmakers of the teens and twenties. Eisenstein and the like. Much of it feels like academic experimentation to me, but their influence on those who followed is obvious -- Hitchcock being the most famous example. I'd recommend Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Along the lines of Darren's thinking I'd recommend Sergei Eisenstein's Strike!, my favorite of his films. An amazing assault of images.
Other silent film examples:
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Sherlock Jr. An early example of the movie-within-a movie.
Another classic example of editing to tell story is Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon coming soon on DVD from Criterion. In which we see the same events through the eyes of 4 different story tellers.
More recent examples that may be more accessible to you include:
Steven Soderbergh's The Limey and Out of Sight
John Sayles' Lone Star
Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Charlie's Angels has some clever cuts. Also check through the works of Michael Bay, Simon West, Dominic Sena and Tony Scott. These guys love the chop-shot.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'd second the vote on Strike!; it has some truly dazzling editing that outguns the famous sequence in Battleship Potemkin to my mind, though that is worth considering on such a list as well.

While we're back in the 1920s, looking for antecedents, you might also check out Christensen's Haxan (1922), which reportedly had a huge influence on Eisenstein.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Pi
Darren Aronofski has many of the cast of Requiem: For A Dream. It's an awesome awesome dark movie. The man from Ace Venture and Scarface is in it. Some people not from RFD such as Ajay Naidu (wasn't he in Office Space?).
Summarized: He tries to find a numerical system for life (but most deeply for the stock market).
-Bert

Brad_W

Screenwriter
The Cell
Very cool art direction/cinematography.
Moulin Rouge would also be cool, although the begining is rather annoying because it's TOO much like an MTV video (see Michael Bay films for lameness).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks