Help me compile a list of "affordable" DVD-A players available now or in near future

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am thinking about getting a catch-all player for my main system and moving my current DVD player and 5-disk changer to the bedroom and den systems. So, what I will need is something that can replace both units. The current DVD player is a Toshiba SD-2200 and the CD player is a $150 sony job, so the new unit wont have to be the be-all end-all to get the job done and impress me. Here are my criteria and they are in somewhat of an order of importance.
    1) "affordable" under $800 MSRP and/or under $500 internet or discount B&M
    2) DVD-A capabilities
    3) True progressive scan. I have no progressive capable display right now (looking at FP in the future), but this is hardly a demanding feature any more.
    4) MP3 capabilities. I have mixed feelings about this. If its going to do it, I would really like to have it do it right and be user friendly and not so picky as I have heard some players are with this format (ie the panny RP-91 which will only organize MP3s alphabetically no matter how you separate them on the disk, and also is kind of finicky as far as bit rates used etc.)
    5) Changer. Since it is replacing a 5-disk changer I would like it to be a changer too, but this feature becomes less important if it will do MP3s. If I want to seriously listen I will put in a single CD or DVD-a and listen, if I want to "randomize" 50 tracks, I will put in a MP3 encoded disk.
    I hope you all can help, because this will probably be my next purchase.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

2. Tod Gettys

Tod Gettys Auditioning

JVC has a new DVD-Audio, Prog Scan, 7 disc changer out that I've seen at Best Buy for $399. Here are some of the details from J and R Music's web site (www.jandr.com):
    ======
    The JVC XV-FA95GD 7 Disc DVD Audio / Video Player and Changer offers outstanding performance with your Home theater system. With its stylishly matted gold finish, this technologically advanced unit is a source for reliable, versatile entertainment.
    -Innovative 7-Disc Carousel Changer with Play and Exchange
    Play compatible with DVD Audio, DVD Video, CD and CDR formats
    -Plays CDs with MP3 recordings
    -Integrated Dolby Digital and DTS multichannel decoders
    -Digital Direct Progrssive-Scan Output
    -High-res GUI
    -Versatile Video Fine Processor
    -Component Video, S-Video and Composite video outputs
    -Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs
    -13-Step HQ Zoom
    -JVC AVCompULink
    -Glowing Remote Control
    ===
    J and R seems to be selling it for $329 (!), but they are out of stock.
    I have the 65GD model, which has prog scan but is single disc and no DVD-Audio. I'm very happy with it so far.
    [Edited last by Tod Gettys on August 31, 2001 at 12:20 AM]

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    This is acutally the player I am considering right now, but I didnt want to answer my own question. How is the quality of the JVCs? I know they are not the most popular here. I am wondering if the JVC unit can even hold a candle Panasonic RP-91 or if I should just bite the bullet and go with the "known" winner. What are your thoughts on build quality, ease of use, picture and sound quality, etc. of the JVC models?
    ------------------
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    Donate to keep the Home Theater Forum up and running

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, I have never owned a JVC DVD player, but from what I have seen in stores and read on the web, I would never want to. That's just my opinion on the matter and is not intended to attack JVC supporters. JVC has had reliability issues with its DVD players in the past. In fact, a member here had a thread going recently in which he referred to his JVC unit (a non-DVD-Audio model) as a "paperweight". Of course, we see this all the time. Someone has a bad experience, or even a few, with a brand and trashes the name forever. So, I guess we have take such complaints, including mine, with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I have never been impressed with the build quality of JVC's DVD players, the XV-D723GD included. I saw the new 7-disc changer at Best Buy last weekend. I had high hopes for it going in, but once again, I found the build quality to be disappointing. The carousel mechanism does not appear to be well made.
    I used to really like JVC. I feel they make good TVs, VCRs, and camcorders. Unfortunately, the quality of their VCRs has fallen off in the past couple of years. I have a JVC HR-S4600U S-VHS from two years ago, which is great. However, the budget models introduced in 2000 and 2001 are much cheaper in build quality. Also, I've never liked JVC audio components I've owned (CD players and receivers). I guess my point in all of this is that I would recommend the Panasonic DVD-RP91. I don't own it, but I feel Panasonic/Technics makes better products than JVC. I own the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, which was the predecessor to the 'RP91. The 'A10 is an excellent component.
    The best thing in all of this is to look at all candidate DVD-Audio players in stores and scrutinize them heavily. Weigh the pros and cons of each one. If you have to, buy a couple models at stores with good return policies and test them out at home. That's the best way to determine which unit is best for you if you are torn.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I own the JVC single-disc model (SA75GD) and I have to say that so far, it's been fine. I just hooked up the DVD-A outputs to my receiver, and it sounds fantastic!
    I needed something that would fit my budget, so this player was perfect. I initially went for the 7 disc changer model, but found the single disc on JandR.com for $249. For that price, with the available features, I don't think this can be beat. Unless it breaks down on me in the near future, I will be highly recommending it.
    I understand that in this world you get what you pay for, and there's undoubtedly better players out there - but for those who don't always have the cash to get the absolute best, this will surely be a winner. It looks like JVC is showing us that the price of this technology has fallen significantly.
    And while we're bashing / defending JVC, I previously had a 3 disc model that worked without a single flaw from day one. I had it connected via S-Video to a 27" TV. Take that for what it's worth.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

6. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

Does the JVC come in any color besides gold? I hate that.

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, it comes in black, but only online through crutchfield and the like. I think best buy only has the gold. If it was silver like my Wega I would buy it there, but its gold so I will probably buy online and get black.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-GitB3RAD1oz/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=54600&I=257XVFA90B&o=M&a=0
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

8. Michael Knieriemen

Apex is under the radar for most of the HT enthusiasts on this board but for $300 you get DVD-Audio and SACD.
    APEX DIGITAL AD-7701 DVD-Video/DVD-Audio + SACD Player
    Plays DVD-VCD-SVCD-CD-CD/R-CD/RW-MP3discs / NTSC & PAL Video Outputs / HDCD / DVD-Audio AND SACD playback.
    You can check it out at...
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price
    Not bad for $300.

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I checked out the link for the Apex. There is a $29 differance b/t that and the JVC. I am not interested in SACD unless I can get it from a reliable company, and having a changer would be nice. With some of the people's opinions on this post, I am wondering if the JVC is really a higher quality unit than the Apex. I was really pumped about the Panasonic CP-71(?) (it was going to be a 5 disk with identical feature to the RP-91 except no DVD-ram read) but they never made it. Now this JVC comes along and seems to fit my bill, but people are saying it will be poor quality [​IMG]
    Another thing that hasnt been mentioned is... has JVC done anything about bass management with DVD-A? I know one of the dissapointments with the Panny RP-91 was that if you had really small satallite speakers and the DVD-A disk was only 5.0 you would not have any bass. Has any company fixed this. I cannot afford to go out and buy a DVD-A player and an outlaw ICBM and a dozen decent analog interconnects. [​IMG] Any thoughts/information from owners of JVC DVD-A capable units?
    ------------------
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

10. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Panasonic rp61

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for the J&R link for the Apex AD-7701. The web site is a bit messed as the description refers to it as the AD-3201 and AD-500. Anyway, I assume it does not play multi-channel SACDs. The reason it probably doesn't, I suspect, is that it process the DSD bitstream off an SACD through a standard PCM DAC, which could not handle multi-channel material. I suspect the Apex unit will be disappointing with SACDs, and I have my reservations all around. Still, I would be curious to give it a try in my home for $300.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime