Help me clean my hands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Dubbelboer, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I work as a bartender when i'm not working as a student and whenever i'm done my shift three finger on my right hand are always bright red. I never really understood why, then one day realized it's from dunking my fingers into the maraschino cherries. There's really no alternative to using my fingers because it would take too long to get a spoon out and scoop, so my question is how do i get this crap off me?

I wash my hands throughout the shift but it doesn't help, here it is two days after new years and my fingers are still red, especially the nails. I can't think of anyway to get this crap off me. any suggestions?

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

You're on your own as far as cleaning your fingers. But in the future, you might want to wear a latex or latex-alternative glove.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    On the nails themselves or behind them/underneath? You can always try nail polish remover on them I guess... Or perhaps some citrus degreaser that can be bought in automotive stores. Next time, make a marachino cherry dispenser, all you need is some clear food-grade PVC tubing about the diameter of the cherries you use with some kind of valve at the top for releasing them. Kind of like the old thumb on the end of the straw technique that uses a vacuum to hold liquid or in your case, marachino cherries. Then when you fill up an order that calls for M-cherries, just pop the vacuum enough for a cherry to fall. Can be used for olives and grapes too.. Oooohhh!
    And you can call it "Jay's Marachino Cherry Dispenser" ®2002
    [​IMG]
    Jay

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Go into an automotive store and get yourself some Orange stuff. I don't remember exactly what it's called - quick orange, fast orange, super orange. Something like that. I've got a huge jug of it at home I use for cleaning my hands after working on my car. That stuff is amazing. If it won't clean your hands, nothing will.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think Ryan is talking about Fast Orange, I have it, it works pretty good on bike/car grease and stuff. Smells good too, almost too good. I think the best soap I've ever tried though was Borax powder soap, feels exactly like small rocks but it was awesome and probably took a layer of your skin off afterwards!! [​IMG]
    Jay

6. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

I think the Orange stuff is Gojo or something. It works pretty well because it has small grains of sand in it to act abbrasively.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can you make a good tequila sunrise, Mark? I love a good tequila sunrise.

8. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

You are going to have to live with stained fingers, the red coloring they use makes a good stain, and has been absorbed by your skin, it has to grow out

you could try some of the "miricle stain remover" they show on TV, but most soap and detergent products are not going to do anything

even though it takes time, start using a spoon or one of the bar toothpicks

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Tequila sunrise coming right up Jack.

Jay I think your "Jay's Marachino Cherry Dispenser" might be a bit out of my league...I didn't last too long in engineering:p

I forgot all about that fast orange stuff. for the longest time i never knew why i associated oranges with my grandfather till like three years ago i noticed he used fast orange as a hand soap, and hence always smelt citrusey. I worked tonight and i just kept like 5 cherries in the jar w/out liquid, then i just kept filling it when i needed to. that might work on a wednesday but come this weekend i think i'd be struggling to keep up. I'll have to go pick up some fast orange.

i remember as a child working on our family farm anytime i got really dirty, usually paint, they'd spray gasoline on me and that stuff worked wonders. sure it's prolly unsanitary, and i'm kinda surprised i can still see, but damn if it didn't work

thanks for the suggestions guys

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

can you make a decent long island? [​IMG]
    noting beats a good LIT [​IMG]

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Out, damned spot! [​IMG]

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The Fast Orange was my first thought. It probably won't get it all out, but should help. You might also try Goo Gone. This is not exactly what it is designed for, but might work. Going on the stain theory, you might follow up the Fast Orange with a short soak in diluted bleach. About 1/2 oz. in a quart of water should do it. Then you probably should wash your hands with Fast Orange again to get the bleach out.

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

14. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I use Comet cleanser on my hands to remove tough dirt and stains. It's a little harsh but contains bleach which might do the trick. WD40 works for greasy dirt and glue residues but not much help on stains.