Help me chose a television for my master bedroom

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I have my HT projection setup in the new condo right now, and I need a television for the masterbedroom...

This will serve primarily as a medium for watching TV shows/series on DVD and on occassion, the few DirecTV satelite programs I schedule in the Tivo and the odd movie when I'm too tired to watch in the livingroom and can't get out of bed.

But mainly it will be for viewing my collection of TV show DVD's and the occassional satelite program.

So I am not looking into the truest cinematic experience or anything, I just want a high-res, high quality HDTV w/ built-in tuner and defined colors and progressive scan capabilities.

Since I've previously been focussing on DLP projection for my livingroom HT, I haven't had much of a chance to look into LCD-Plasma sets so I'm not too sure what's available and what's been getting positive feedback...

I looked into the Mitsubishi LT3050 as well as various Panasonic models because from a quick online search, it supposedly was a highly regarded set, but I'm not sure it offers true HDTV resolution and I don't think it's got pro scan converter - though I've got a multi-coded JVC w/ pro scan so I'm not sure it's completely necessary but makes me feel better none the less.

IMPORTANT - IT NEEDS TO BE A WALL MOUNTED DISPLAY!!!

I'm looking to spend in the 4k range.

I'm not sure whether or not I should go with a 16:9 or 4:3 a.r.

Again - it will be mainly for watching television shows on DVD and as we all know, 99% of T.V. shows are framed for 4:3 including classic cartoons which I will be watching a lot of on this unit.

Basically, the livingroom HT DLP setup will be for theatrical DVD's and the bedroom flat-panel will be for Saturday morning cartoons on DVD (from Rocky & Bullwinkle to Ninja Turtles & Garfield) as well as series like ALF, Twin Peaks, etc.

Based on this, I'm leaning towards 4:3 but would like to get your opinions on the matter. I might on rare occasion screen a widescreen DVD when I'm too lazy to get out of bed but in these few times, I don't think I'll really mind the black bars... what do you guys think?

I'd rather a TV aspect ratio that would fit the context of my viewing the majority of the time than a widescreen TV that would crop every single cartoon or TV show that I watch and distort the image.

Anyways, what are some good high quality, flat paneled, WALL-MOUNTED, 4:3 HDTV w/ built-in tuner sets available in my price range?

I'd rather spend under 4k if possible but I don't mind dishing it out for extra quality.

ALSO - It needs to have built-in stereo speakers!

I will NOT be going surround sound in my bedroom. It's unnecessary for what I'll be using the TV for.

A silver colored bezel is preferred to match the aesthetics of the room.

THANKS!!!

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Also... PLASMA VS. LCD & why?

and I'm looking at the NEC 42XR3 now which based on specs and reviews seems like a great TV but it's 16:9...