Help me choose?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PatSloan, Dec 7, 2004.

1. PatSloan

PatSloan Agent

Group,

I posted this over on the av123 forum, but thought it might be a good idea to get a wider audiance's perpective. Thanks for any input.

Help me decide......

I recently got lucky at and ran into some money, so I have a small budget to upgrade my home theater speakers. Currently have Advent AS2 as main and use the Advent AS1's for center and rear l/r. Along with a Sony sm-40 sub for a nice budget setup. Driving them all is an HK AVR 525. I have been pretty happy with this setup, but I think it is lacking a bit. I would like something with a bit more punch and clarity. I think the sub might not have enough umph for the room size as well.

So I want to upgrade my speakers. I use my current setup for almost exclusively movies or TV. My room is ~15x30 where only half the room is used for the home theater. See my attached photos for layout.

I am a bit of a deal hound, so am looking for the best bang for my buck. Currently looking at spending in the range of about 1500-2000 on speakers with sub I would like to squeeze a new dvi enabled dvd player into that as well.

What I have been looking at so far is the Rockets. Specifically the Rocket package #6, ELT or a set of 6 elt cse's. These all should fit my budget. I have no real thoughts on a sub, but my research is saying SVS might be a good choice. I have also toyed with the idea of building my own sub. I have a couple of teen age boys that might like the project.

So please give me your thoughts on how to choose what speakers. I have been searching the archives (here and other forums), lots of good info there. But I have been reading so much, my brain is starting to hurt.

Thanks in advance.

--pat

layout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I would start by looking for "B" stock Rocket models (they have a pair of RS 550s for $700 right now). AV 123 has a christmas sell of sorts currently going on. Perhaps you can find a pair of surrounds and a center channel speaker at bargain prices there.

I would also consider getting the SVS B10-ISD subwoofer ($429 now days); for the price I can't think of anything that can better or equal its TRUE subbass performance. [​IMG]

Good luck on your quest... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

3. PatSloan

PatSloan Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the looks of the 550's (and higher models). But they might be too big for my setup, along with the large size of the center that matches. I am leaning towards a setup the uses the rocket elt cse's all around with a new powered base speaker that gives a base speaker to the cse.

there is a link to a press release about them here:

http://www.av123.com/about_news.php

They are suppose to be in, in about two weeks.

I will defiantly look into the sub. Thanks for responding.

--pat