1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

help me choose tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lorenzo K, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I'm in the market for a new tv set but dont know what to get. I will be watching reg cable 60% of the time, dvd 20%and vhs 20%. I will be sitting about 12 feet from the set. I'm not sure if I should get a rear projection or a tube. I have been looking at the toshiba 43hx71 (CN$2350), sony kp43t90 (CN$ 2299), sony kp43ht20 (CN$2799), sony kv36fs13 (CN$1999). Which would you recommend? If you know of problems with the above mentioned sets, I would appreciate hearing about them.
    I'm partial to the rear progection screens as I can get a bigger pic for not much more but am concerned with burn in issues. How long does it take before a rear projection set gets a burn in. The sales man I talked to said that it can happen in as short as a couple of hours. I don't think this is true and would like to know the real deal.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Bump

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Lorenzo your note reads as though you have your heart set on a big display. And projection is the only cost-effective way for a big display—ok there are 40” tube sets, but they range from costly to expensive.

So go with that and take reasonable precautions. While I don’t have a RPTV, its not because I was concerned about burn-in, but for other reasons such as difficulties in moving the TV and my wife’s decorating concern.

There are many threads in this forum that you can research (search on ‘RPTV & burn-in/burn in), which may reassure you and that will also give you sound advice.

Briefly, don’t buy a used set; turn down the picture settings to some modest, standard setting, as soon as you get the set; next get a disk such as AVIA to more properly configure your picture; use the gray bar option should you have a choice; don’t play games for extended periods (though this does not look like a concern for you), and if you buy a wide screen TV, and consider expanding the picture for programs such as the news (personally I don’t for anything else, but many here do).

In my opinion, manufactures and retailers are protecting themselves from liability when they advise that burn-in is a serious problem. If you take sensible precautions, I don’t expect that you will have a problem. Of course if you watch one channel exclusively and that channel superimposes a logo in the same place all the time, you may have (as other have had) a problem. This does not appear to be a concern given your viewing habits.

Follow your heart. You will regret it if you don’t.

Have fun.

4. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I've pretty much decided to get the rptv but can't choose between the 3. The problem is when i compared them in one store the kp43ht20 looked better, but when i looked at them in another store the kp43t90 looked better, then the toshiba in the 3rd store i went into. I know that the pic quality is dependent on the calibaration. I figured that they were not calibrated properly or had different settngs. I want to know which of the 3 has the best pic quality before i buy.