help me choose tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lorenzo K, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I'm in the market for a new tv set but dont know what to get. I will be watching reg cable 60% of the time, dvd 20%and vhs 20%. I will be sitting about 12 feet from the set. I'm not sure if I should get a rear projection or a tube. I have been looking at the toshiba 43hx71 (CN$2350), sony kp43t90 (CN$ 2299), sony kp43ht20 (CN$2799), sony kv36fs13 (CN$1999). Which would you recommend? If you know of problems with the above mentioned sets, I would appreciate hearing about them.
    I'm partial to the rear progection screens as I can get a bigger pic for not much more but am concerned with burn in issues. How long does it take before a rear projection set gets a burn in. The sales man I talked to said that it can happen in as short as a couple of hours. I don't think this is true and would like to know the real deal.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Bump

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Lorenzo your note reads as though you have your heart set on a big display. And projection is the only cost-effective way for a big display—ok there are 40” tube sets, but they range from costly to expensive.

So go with that and take reasonable precautions. While I don’t have a RPTV, its not because I was concerned about burn-in, but for other reasons such as difficulties in moving the TV and my wife’s decorating concern.

There are many threads in this forum that you can research (search on ‘RPTV & burn-in/burn in), which may reassure you and that will also give you sound advice.

Briefly, don’t buy a used set; turn down the picture settings to some modest, standard setting, as soon as you get the set; next get a disk such as AVIA to more properly configure your picture; use the gray bar option should you have a choice; don’t play games for extended periods (though this does not look like a concern for you), and if you buy a wide screen TV, and consider expanding the picture for programs such as the news (personally I don’t for anything else, but many here do).

In my opinion, manufactures and retailers are protecting themselves from liability when they advise that burn-in is a serious problem. If you take sensible precautions, I don’t expect that you will have a problem. Of course if you watch one channel exclusively and that channel superimposes a logo in the same place all the time, you may have (as other have had) a problem. This does not appear to be a concern given your viewing habits.

Follow your heart. You will regret it if you don’t.

Have fun.

4. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I've pretty much decided to get the rptv but can't choose between the 3. The problem is when i compared them in one store the kp43ht20 looked better, but when i looked at them in another store the kp43t90 looked better, then the toshiba in the 3rd store i went into. I know that the pic quality is dependent on the calibaration. I figured that they were not calibrated properly or had different settngs. I want to know which of the 3 has the best pic quality before i buy.