Help me choose the best subtitle for Metropolis Anime.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Burkhart, Oct 13, 2002.

1. George Burkhart

Hello All,

I'm a newb as far as Anime. I think I've only watched the big ones like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke.

Recently I rented Metropolis on DVD but I have 2 subtitle choices for English. One seems more formal and the other seems a bit more casual. On the web it shows the two subtitles as Original Translation and Theatrical. I think that's the wording. However, I don't know which is which on my DVD. There is subtitle 1 and subtitle 2 for English.

Anyway, what are your opinions from those who are newbs like me or hard core Anime fans? What is the best way to watch them? I prefer to hear a movie in its original language but don't know what I would be missing or not with one subtitle or the other one. I appreciate any opinions on this as well as any general information on the reasons and differences for these two subtitle tracks. Thanks for your help,

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Go to your menu, and the subtitle menu and it let's you choose

According to my friends who are more fluent than I, the theatrical subs are the better. Literal translation is just that, direct dialog translation

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

i played this disc on my dvd-rom drive and with powerdvd played both subtitle tracks(one on top of the screen and one on the bottom) and found the differences really funny.

4. George Burkhart

I can change subtitles, I just don't know which is which. It only shows English 1 and English 2. I'm guessing the less formal translation would be the theatrical translation?

Anybody else who knows Anime have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

George, hit your menu key, you can select the subtitle tracks from there.

6. George Burkhart

Thanks for the help Jeff. Since I haven't heard from anybody else, I'm guessing the theatrical version of the subtitles is recommended. I'll give it a try,

7. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Yes, the direct translation (the theatrical) is better. I don't know what someone is smoking with the "literal translation" b/c it ain't "literal".

I have a translation and it's more "literal" than the "literal" one is.