Help me choose the best out of these 3 HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_frontier, Jan 13, 2003.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

2. mike_frontier

Auh man... nobody can give opinions?? [​IMG]

3. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

well mike,in my mind it kinda depends on what kind of tv u watch.I own the tosh(65") and am extremely pleased w/it.On hd and dvd's,it cant b beat.
    My buddy has a mits(73"),and on reg sd tv,I think his set looks better then mine does.So,depending on ur viewing habits(more cable or std sat.,get the mits),(More dvd's and hd,get the tosh).
    Just my opinion.Good luck and im sure youll b happy w/either set,as both are good.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Id go with the Toshiba, they ahve great stretch modes, and a good picture, but then Ive enver seent he samsung or mits.

but still toshiba is a good choice.

5. mike_frontier

ok here is the new update.
    I really had high hopes and was going to get the Toshiba,,,but just after looking at the top of the screen there is no room to put an center channel speaker arrrhh[​IMG] .
    So the ONLY other HDTV in 16:9 in my budget that can fit an center channel was the Samsung 47" model# hcl 4715w
    and the Panasonic 57" Pt-53wx42.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on these 2 Tvs?
    Thanks

6. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Ever since an ISF calibrator on this forum describe the insides of the new Pannys as "cheap", I've been very hesitant about them. I'm trying to decide between a Sony (KP46WT500 -or- KF50XBR800) and the 47"/53" Panny right now, but that comment keeps coming back to haunt me...
    Incidentally, I assume you mean the 53" Panny PT53WX42? [​IMG]
    Me

7. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

Mike:

How deep is your center speaker? Mine's about 10" and I have no problem on the 50H82...

8. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    You may want to look for a center channel stand like the one that Jan has in this post.
    That should take care of your problem with any TV. [​IMG] And while I'm thinking about it, I was at a local Sears on Saturday and they have a 43" Hitachi HDTV priced at $1709.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Tim,
    I can't compare w/ other RPTV's guts, but the cabinet of the Panny 53wx42 does look cheap. I think you're refering to Michael_TLV's recent post. I've seen him comment on this before, but IIRC, it was usually about the cabinet more than the electronics although I could be wrong. He and Gregg Loewen (and maybe a few other ISF guys) also feel the Panny's are some of the best TVs in their price ranges. That's partly why I ended up going w/ the Panny.
    FWIW, people also say similar things about the Panny DVD players. [​IMG] And no, I don't own one of those.
    Anyway, if you expect to put a heavy center speaker on top of the TV, then that's one more strike against the Panny 53". Their frames are rather weak, so it's probably not a good idea to put a 30lb speaker on top. Maybe a shelf that can evenly distribute the weight across the front and back of the TV would do, but I wouldn't bet on it. The smaller Panny 47" and larger 56" might be better at handling the weight though.
    _Man_

10. mike_frontier

Man - Fai
    I have to agree what you said on the Panny. I took an look at the Model: PT-47WX42 and I notice that there was a open box deal on one. It said it was 181Lbs,,, but seemed very light when picking it up. As for the construction of it, I looked towards the bottom where the wheels were at and notice the rear right wheel was missing... so I kinda tipped it and notice it was busted of,,, yes busted off. Not to mention that the whole construction of it is made of particle board. It was cheap. I am glad they had a return item so I can catch that and I did. Panny shame on you [​IMG] .
    But as of Yesterday and about 2 hours of Back to back shopping on there line of HDTV sizes 42" to 47" HDTVs, brands like Toshiba, Samsung and Panasonic. I really wanted to toshiba,, but I felt 1599.00 was a little more then I wanted to spend, but after a hard decision... I grabbed the HCM-4215W Samsung 42". I love the easy setup menu and the manual selection to pick the screen format I wanted to view at. The remote is really nice. The only thing I did not like is the TV is black/dark grey (I perfer sold color) and the remote was silver ,,, but oh well. Its universal so thats cool.
    I will have the samsung deliverd to my house on Monday. I can't wait to get it.
    Here is an snap shot. Oh did I mention there is no wood on this model [​IMG] .
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, the Panny's do also seem to be lighter than most of their competition at the same sizes.

Well, they have to cut corners to offer the best prices for their size ranges, so that's where they do some of their corner cutting.

Some other TV makers cut corners on the actual CRT guns or the work needed to get good results for multiple scan rates, thus, requiring such things as 540p or 1080i upconversion. Actually, just about ALL makers do that to eliminate 720p native support. Panasonic was actually one of the few that ever supported 720p natively.

Anyhoo...

_Man_