What's new

Help me choose system components (1 Viewer)

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I posted this in another forum as well, so I apologize if you've already seen it. I'm going to soon be building a new home that will have a theater room. As a little reward to myself for making some money on my old home, I've budgeted $10K for the equipment in this room, so I'm tyring to decide on what to put in it. This is meant to be a fun exercise where I might pickup some ideas. Here's the scenario... you've got $10K to spend on AV equipment for a brand new home theater room. The theater room is 19 X 13 and is a designated theater room. The room will be used almost exclusively for HT... very little music. 7.1 configuration is a must. You can't use any existing equipment... all must be brand new. How would you spend your money? You need to purchase (at least):

1. A display unit (and associated screen if required)
2. A DVD source
3. Either an integrated receiver or seperates
4. Speaker Setup
5. DirecTV HD tuner (has to be DirecTV - I won't live without the Sunday Ticket)

Please include the brand name, model, and price for each component. Here's an example.

Display: Panasonic PT-L300U $2000
DVD Source: Denon 1600 $500
Speakers: Mirage Omni 250, CC, and FX(2 pair) $2000
Subs: SVS 16-46CS+ : $1025
Pre-Amp/Amp: Outlaw 950/770 combo (200 X 7) $2500
Vutec Screen $700.00
Samsung SIR-TS160 DirecTV HDTV Tuner $600.00

Total: $9,325

You can use street prices... but at least keep it to publicly available street prices. I'm honestly looking for opinions, so please chime in. Thanks in advance and have fun...

:D

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
You are going to get a lot of people touting their system. I won't do that. But I will tout my TV--the Mitsubishi 65WS411. If you don't need a HD tuner (and many don't esp if you use satellite or cable) it is an awesome TV. I spent $2800 for it.

I love my Mirage OM7 towers (about 700 apiece, Mirage Omnisat rears (225 apiece) and the Mirage OMC2 center (600 or so). That center speaker is amazing. And then a SVS sub--I have the 25-31 Pci plus (about 800). I wont speak for the other audio components. I can just say I am satisified in every way with what is listed above. Go listen at your local stores. Good luck!

(whoops I guess I did do it).

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have an older generation 60" Mits that still works like a champ. It will be going into the game room. For the HT, I'm really leaning towards a front projection unit to really get a "theater" feel. The problem is, most specialty AV stores only have 2-3 FPs on demo... and it's never the FP you want to see. I have seen the Sharp 9000U and was VERY impressed, but it's a more expensive model (around $5K street price). I would really have to make some compromises on the other equipment to fit it into the budget. I haven't seen the Panny 300 yet, but I've read a ton of glowing reviews. Hopefully, I'll get to take a look at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks