1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

help me choose one of these 3 dig coax cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jeffrey Chin, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

for dig coax, which would you recommend and why?

cardas lightning
    acoustic zen silver photon
    bettercables silver serpent

NOTE: Please only post suggestions pertaining only to the cables aforementioned and only if you have actually used these cables before. Anything to the contrary is irrelevant.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You want to post this over at Tweaks, Connectors, and Accessories. Thats where the "cables make a difference" crowd tends to congregate.

FWIW, any 75 Ohm cable will be fine. I use RS Gold Video cable. Build quality is quite good, and its cheap.

But, if you THINK you can hear a difference between digital cables, then by all means, buy what you think sounds best.

BGL

3. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

I got the perfect COAX for you. I buy all my cables from this guy. He is awesome. Its all Canare Cable and Canare 75ohm RCA Plugs. He has sweet prices too. He has a website and sells on eBay.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8174502&ssPageName=L2
    That is his eBay store.

This is the cable that you want.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=undefined

Like I said, I buy ALL my cables from him. His component cables are the BEST IMHO. Great FAT cables. Check out my gear.

http://slaggbot.0catch.com/Home%20Theater%20Page.html

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Use a yellow rca cable you have laying around.

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

6. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

i have yet to see any input on either of the 3 cables mentioned in my topic..please stick to the topic, not alternatives.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Don't waste your money. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $5.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

9. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

10. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

BGL, Thanks for not sticking to the topic once again. You should create your own topic or forum even if you feel like venting. I already posted on audioasylum. Simply wanted more relevant feedback, which I am not getting. I don't see any problem with posting here. I also don't see any reason why I should 'heed your advice', for you are no authority on audio by any means or a mod. Feel free to stick to your lamp cord if you wish, but don't stop others from exploring other options.
    Obviously your reading comprehension is quite poor, for I did not ask if you thought dig cables were fraud or not.

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

How about this: I recommend none of the three that you picked unless you want to waste your money. How's that for relevancy?

As long as the signal can successfully make it through the cable intact, there will be no difference in quality whatsoever. If the cable isn't good enough, it simply won't work.

Also, this really does belong in the connections forum, not the audio/video sources forum, as the cable is not a 'source'.

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

My original reply was to try to steer you to the correct area of the HTF where this stuff is meant to be discussed.

I will try one more time, and will include the link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=76&daysprune=

You are much more likely to get the opinions you want there than here.

Good Luck to Ya!

BGL

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories forum.

I'm also editing the title to more accurately reflect the thread-starter's intention.

M.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well if those are your only 3 choices, then i'd buy the one with the lowest capacitance and best shielding.
    Why?
    Because sometimes people have equipment made using esoteric DAC's or other bad designs that cause a variety of errors when capacitance increases. You do understand that is not an example of a cable making a difference, it's a matter of a component designed by some wannabe engineer that doesn't know how to do things correctly.
    Second criteria would be the one with the best shielding.
    Third would be the one with the best resale value.

I leave it to you to dig up the numbers.

15. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Brian, Chu and others who share the cables are cables opinion:
    How about you guys wait for someone to actually ask for an opinion on this subject? If someone asks for this type of opinion/debate then rant away otherwise please give it a break and try to keep it on subject.

Brian:
    Surprised the moderators let you get away with your "Fraud" accusations.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Read my reply Mark. I gave a reply confined to the question & I can back up my recommendation with a real example from the real world and provide the engineering underpinnings for it. Mr. Chin is free to pursue it or base his purchase on matters weighted to his own criteria. And your suggestion was...? A cable with high capacitance and poor shielding?

17. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

There is absolutely no performance gain in spending insane money on digital cables. You do realize that a digital signal in CAT5 Ethernet can go 100meters without being amplified with a repeater. You are going like what 6 ft or something. It's a digital signal, on or off, you don't have to worry about it. It'll get there.

18. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok guys. Out of respect for the original poster, please only post if you have used any of the cables he lists. He obviously does not want general observations on digital cables.

19. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Jeffrey, I think you got the best answer indirectly from Chu. Although he does not own or use any of the cables you suggest, his recommendation based on low capacitance and high shielding is sound. The cable with the best specifications maybe the way to go.

To all the other posters, why respond if you are not going to answer his question? He did not ask for a debate on cables. Why rant and rave about the insignificance of purchasing certain esoteric cables?

The only thing this does is prevent others from freely posting a question because of fear of getting "spammed" or burned.

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You're right that I haven't tried any of those cables. Nor am I likely to want to. However with unknown equipment that may not be mainstream, there may be sound engineering reasons of a prophylactic nature to shade ones purchasing decision in favor of certain electrical characteristics. After all it does form a circuit, no? And lest you think that my 'wannabe engineers' comment is solely related towards the 'high-end', poor design finds itself into a fair amount of professional and semi-pro equipment that in turn finds its way into the recording chain. I could care less how Mr. Chin spends his monies and can only hope that he may find the lack of subjective words such as 'articulated midrange and balanced presentation' a welcome change.